You win some, you lose some

Rowsdower70

eBay has been pretty kind to me, but I was bound to end up with a bad experience sooner or later.

I closed on an auction last night (RickR and Yo-Yo were chatting with me at the time) and got a nice deal.  Woke up the next day to a message saying it was sold already, don't pay for it.  Well of course I paid for it immediately as good buyers do, so I ask him to refund me.

He's apologizing but wants to make a deal for just one part of the auction.  I told him no offense, but I wasn't going to be doing any further business with him, just refund me please.  He then starts profanity and name calling and says he'll get to it when he can.

Am I evil for kinda wanting this to play out long enough for eBay to reimburse me so his account can be suspended to protect other users?

Anyway, just letting off steam...hope you folks are well!!

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I just got off the phone with eBay, they are taking care of it I believe.  He messed up when he wanted to negotiate for part of the auction, which would have cut eBay out of the deal.  They don't take kindly to that.   Plus he started cussing me out which, strangely enough, is against policy too.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I'm glad they're taking care of it, Row.

Yeah, Ebay...yeah...

Love the concept, was a member for quite a while, until they changed the password on me and I couldn't recover my account (low buyer account, so doesn't matter) cuz it was an old email and I hadn't gone back to the site since the ISP switch.

Their service seems to have improved, from your experience with this.

And I heard they can help you get an old account back and running by phone, so I might try that.

The problem is, for me, that an auction spot like that is only as good as its sellers.

Most are good cuz they understand good business, some struggle to keep up with prompt delivery, accurate shipping info and such, but mean well...

Others, well they're like the surly comic book shop guy with too little business and the whole world to blame for it (and do so at every opportunity).

Those exchanges always bring me down.

Oh well.

btw, my comic shop friends are cool cats

Though, had another huge second-hand place in town with stacks of old mags, some neat curios, but mostly unsellable, overpriced junk, managed by impressively unlikeable characters.

This reminds me of that.

They're closed for good now.

Anyway, yeah...eBay...

well, we gotta keep the faith if we're gonna get the retro goodies

I like buying stuff from shops that sell their used wares online on eBay and Amazon.

Yeah, eBay has really done a lot to protect customers in the past few years.  A lot of people I know who used to sell stuff part-time said that it was actually too much to deal with.

you actually got to talk to someone at eBay on the PHONE?!?!?!?!?

Brian Matherne - owner/curator of "The MOST comprehensive list of Atari VCS/2600 homebrews ever compiled." http://tiny.cc/Atari2600Homebrew

author of "The Atari 2600 Homebrew Companion" book series available on Amazon! www.amazon.com/author/brianmatherne

you actually got to talk to someone at eBay on the PHONE?!?!?!?!?

I know!  No easy task I assure you.   They give you EVERY run-around possible to make you wait, contact the seller, or ask the community.

Luckily I cracked the code, they gave me a one-time only passcode that gets you through security.   I felt like I was going onto "the Grid". 

I got my refund, so all is well with the world.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Archived