New owner questions

RickR

Hello everyone:  I'm a new VCS owner, having jumped in during the Gamestop $99 deal.  I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where new owners can post questions and get help from more experienced users.   I know I've had plenty so far. 

My first question is in regards to the PIN for my account.  Since I'm the only user of my console, it seems kind of silly to have to choose my account and enter the PIN each time.  Is there any way around this?  My guess is that I shouldn't be doing a complete power-down when I'm done using the system and instead I should...what?  Choose sleep mode, or just leave it at the main menu and it goes to sleep itself after a while?

1 hour ago, RickR said:

That worked, thanks.  What does the "HomeVCS" setting do?

HomeVCS allows for multiple users to access games downloaded to that particular machine.  Like a partner, child or roommate that wants their own profile. Setting home should allow them to do so and access games from the primary account without repurchasing.

5 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

HomeVCS allows for multiple users to access games downloaded to that particular machine.  Like a partner, child or roommate that wants their own profile. Setting home should allow them to do so and access games from the primary account without repurchasing.

Cool feature.  If I have 2 VCS consoles can I get my owned games on multiple consoles and play on both?

13 minutes ago, E. King said:

Cool feature.  If I have 2 VCS consoles can I get my owned games on multiple consoles and play on both?

Yes, but I believe that only one can be set-up as a home console. 

Also, save data is local. So on something like Asteroids Recharged your progress on Challenges and local high scores will be cleared. You will still see online leaderboard scores.

22 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

Yes, but I believe that only one can be set-up as a home console. 

Also, save data is local. So on something like Asteroids Recharged your progress on Challenges and local high scores will be cleared. You will still see online leaderboard scores.

Cool man, I think it will be nice to have one in my game room and one in my living room.  Now that I know I can load my games to both I will go for it.

Thanks!

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick a--....... and I am all out of bubble gum!  

Hey everyone, I don't have a question just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Bill and I got in on the $99 Game Stop deal.  Have had the VCS for two weeks now and having a blast.  Planning on getting in on the Recharged Squad Challenges.  Although looking at my score from Centipede and what has been posted I will be far off of the lead.  But hey, I do have two 2nd place finishes in the world leaderboard of the challenges though, so maybe there is hope.  HaHa

BTW, I have never played Black Widow, hopefully i'll have some beginners luck.

2 hours ago, RickR said:

I have another RickR (ie - dumb) question!

Is there a way to turn the console on from the controller?  Or is the only way to reach around back and hit that power button?

Because the VCS is a mini-PC, there isn't remote start-up/power from the controller as is typical for consoles. Atari did implement a "Sleep" mode from which the console could be woken with a controller. However, this was inadvertently borked in a recent update.

That's a really long way of saying, we have to use the power button for now. Hopefully they fix they Sleep function soon.

Edited by Sabertooth

1 hour ago, Sabertooth said:

Because the VCS is a mini-PC, there isn't remote start-up/power from the controller as is typical for consoles. Atari did implement a "Sleep" mode from which the console could be woken with a controller. However, this was inadvertently borked in a recent update.

That's a really long way of saying, we have to use the power button for now. Hopefully they fix they Sleep function soon.

Much appreciated.  It is nice to know I'm not missing something obvious.  I have mine plugged in to a "eco" power strip, controlled by the TV.  So when the TV is powered down, all the other plugs power off too after 30 seconds.  So that means "sleep mode" wouldn't be a good choice for me anyway.