Atari's Character Bench: Who Is Mascot-Worthy?

TrekMD

On 9/15/2023 at 10:52 AM, TrekMD said:

Interesting.  Seems that Atari was indeed planning to use Bentley Bear as their mascot. 

Oh I agree.  I see the Lynx homebrew of Bentley Bear's Honey Hunt had a early alpha of the rom released for trying out:

https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8567.0

Do you know if the later work with the background and all was released to also try out?

Also, interesting note, the programmer of Crystal Castles is on Facebook!

https://www.facebook.com/franz.lanzinger

Edited by D r Clu

On 9/16/2023 at 10:38 PM, TrekMD said:

As far as I know, nothing has been done with Bentley Bear's Honey Hunt since 2019.  Unfortunately.  It would have been cool to see it completed.

I tried to contact the author but so far nothing.  Would have been nice to see the more improved version that he showed in later screen shots with the background.  But at least we got the demo that we got.

On 7/23/2023 at 3:26 PM, TrekMD said:

ow, people actually think Pac-Man was Atari's mascot?  Interesting considering the arcade game was not theirs. 

Just shows how much Atari had become synonymous with video games. Kind of similar to when people would use Xerox as a verb to describe making a copy of a document…”I’ll make/give you a xerox”. Atari became a verb. We used to use them that way when we were kids. We would would tell our folks, “I’m going over to my friends house to play Atari”, but Atari could have included the INTY or ColecoVision or whatever console someone owned. Adults certainly used Atari as a verb to describe playing all-things video games.

Google it.😉

Edited by sramirez2008

On 9/22/2023 at 12:13 PM, sramirez2008 said:

Just shows how much Atari had become synonymous with video games. Kind of similar to when people would use Xerox as a verb to describe making a copy of a document…”I’ll make/give you a xerox”. Atari became a verb. We used to use them that way when we were kids. We would would tell our folks, “I’m going over to my friends house to play Atari”, but Atari could have included the INTY or ColecoVision or whatever console someone owned. Adults certainly used Atari as a verb to describe playing all-things video games.

Google it.😉

I seem to remember my uncles and aunts kinda begrudgingly asking "So you still play that Atari" which was not wrong at all in my case as I only had Atari.  Wanted to get ColecoVision, but then got an Atari 400 which my Dad happily helped me upgrade and get a disk drive and I was in the world of computers at that point!  

But yeh, Atari is to video games (or was, later "Nintendo", as we would see by the movie "Hudson Hawk"), or having a "coke" in the south was for soft drinks for the longest.  And I still Xerox things.  😉

Fun fact, in the early Macintosh game Cap'n Megneto there was a one character you could interact with, and if you laid something next to that character it would copy it.  The character's name was a Xerox.

ScreenShot2023-09-28at8_09_30AM.png.ec16668eab85e3f6e8670fba7f82ec81.pngScreenShot2023-09-28at8_09_16AM.png.6e3df04ff0cec3671169bd24056881ca.png

14 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

Hopefully nothing bad happened to him.  Maybe he just lost interest.

Lost interest in Atariage entirely?  Or other sites he was on?  Yeh doesn't look good does it?

Again glad we got the teaser, at least the Lynx folk have SOMETHING Bentley Bear.  Just wish we could have enjoyed the later work or that could have been uploaded.   It was looking quite snappy!