Amico News

Atari 5200 Guy

Not that it matters but I just got an email from Intellivision. Sounds like more BS to me. 

There was a time when I had high hopes for the Amico. But I soon realized how much of a bullshitter Tommy was becoming. He was always dancing around questions investors were asking. Never a direct answer about how soon the Amico was to be ready for release. But he would answer questions about what games were coming to it. 

I do place some of the blame of it failing on the pandemic. With it shutting down damn near the whole world it would have made it difficult to obtain the parts required to make it. But that’s over now. 

I have lost all interest in it. I’m glad I didn’t invest in it. I’m good with the VCS.

2 hours ago, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I soon realized how much of a bullshitter Tommy was becoming. He was always dancing around questions investors were asking. Never a direct answer about how soon the Amico was to be ready for release.

I think @Video 61 would probably refer to that type of guy as "a Yo-Yo" or "a smooth talking sociopath" or something along those lines 😀

I do place some of the blame of it failing on the pandemic. With it shutting down damn near the whole world it would have made it difficult to obtain the parts required to make it. But that’s over now. 

A properly managed company with serious leadership wouldn't have hemorrhaged money on offices during covid and allowed a burn rate like that. I think everybody would've understood a little delay due to parts shortages. Even if they had been 18 months behind, and then shipped the products they had promoted, most all would've been forgiven. That's not what happened though. They burned through a tremendous amount of seed capital while asking "mom and pops" to invest $100 at a time, which in my view is at best unprofessional, and borderline evil.

But I soon realized how much of a bullshitter Tommy was becoming.

One thing I've noticed is how Tommy Tallarico became the "mascot" for the New Intellivision, while Wade Rosen has become the "mascot" for the New Atari. They've become lightning rods for discussion, in very different ways. Leadership is important, but we should also see beyond the heads and look at the competency of the entire teams as a whole, that make these products happen. The Intellvision team ended up being different from what was initially announced, and perceived by the public. We often think of "Nolan" or "Jack" and others as figureheads, almost like they are Mario and Sonic and Bonk. Decisions and contributions run deep and included more key players than just the big names we like to bring up. I think even with Tommy as the perceived figurehead for the Amico, he's not the only person working on it, and things could've gone much differently had there been a more competent team behind the scenes. 

21 minutes ago, Justin said:

I think even with Tommy as the perceived figurehead for the Amico, he's not the only person working on it, and things could've gone much differently had there been a more competent team behind the scenes.

I understand he's not the only person working on it. But he did purchase the Intellivision brand at the beginning of the Amico. I don't know if he still owns it now or not. Since the Amico having trouble not coming to "life" I really haven't heard of him since. It's almost like he's disappeared. And while he might not have worked on it personally he was the spokesperson for the system. He knew what was going on.  He might have had big plans for the system as far as specs go but I often wonder if it came down to what he was after just really was way beyond what was available at the price point they were going to try to sell the Amico for.  

I've been out of the loop for a long time and I really haven't kept up with it. I'm not saying the product isn't cool because I thought the styling of the console was really neat. But it's been how long now?? And still nothing.  Just a bunch of words and showing of games.  I've not seen the hardware in a functioning form and if there is one it's probably the only one. I just don't see the Amico actually doing anything.  And if/when it does come out it's already going to be a retro console. I don't have any hopes for it. 

I also feel that this whole Amico thing has sort of killed the IntelliVision brand name.  I have got about 30 INTV games here without a console. I can't even get rid of them for a $1 a game.  I'm not sure if that is due to the Amico or not.  Most likely not...but that's what it seems like.