DIY ST Video -> Composite cable.

Jinroh

Was poking around old ST magazines, and found this cable schematic to output composite video from the stock ST video port.

Did not know this trick, and thought some of you YouTube channel guys might find it useful for recording ST games on the cheap if you hadn't heard of it either. My guess is that it would be 50HZ, rather than the 60HZ NTSC (IIRC the ST monitors are 50HZ), but not sure. Either way a modern LCD shouldn't care, same with a capture device. 😛

image.png.3a3ff55bc8a45bbcd5bf867195025ecb.png

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

1 hour ago, DegasElite said:

Is this excerpt from ST Format? The type looks similar to the magazines I have. Also, the cable says it could be used for STE computers. Could it be used for a MegaSTE? Thanks.

Yes from ST Format. 🙂 I don't see why it wouldn't work for the MegaSTe. I assume ST video out, has a joint video out/sync on pin 2 to make that to work. MegaSTe has a video out port IIRC, but I never used it, but I think it is RF maybe. 

11 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

MegaSTe has a video out port IIRC, but I never used it, but I think it is RF maybe.

I think you are right. I already have a composite monitor cable for mine. I think it utilizes both RF and composite video on the same computer because there is a TV port on the back of it. It can also utilize stereo audio because it has audio L and R on the back of the computer. So, it's pretty versatile. I just looked at the back of my MegaSTE and found out. The MegaSTE really is a cool unit, but I think mine needs some repairs because the video looks scrambled on the screen. That just happened when I moved into my new place a few months ago. But, it still works otherwise.

27 minutes ago, DegasElite said:

I think you are right. I already have a composite monitor cable for mine. I think it utilizes both RF and composite video on the same computer because there is a TV port on the back of it. It can also utilize stereo audio because it has audio L and R on the back of the computer. So, it's pretty versatile. I just looked at the back of my MegaSTE and found out. The MegaSTE really is a cool unit, but I think mine needs some repairs because the video looks scrambled on the screen. That just happened when I moved into my new place a few months ago. But, it still works otherwise.

Oh bummer, sorry it gives you a scrambled display. I wonder is something came loose or became unseated a bit when you moved. 🤔 Agreed though yes, the MegaSTe is a great unit. I wish I had a Falcon, but MegaSTe is the next best thing. 😛

30 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

Oh bummer, sorry it gives you a scrambled display.

Thanks. I wonder if it is one of three things:

• May need possible re-capping of motherboard.
  • Video shifter may be damaged.
  • May need new power supply.

Or, it's some other issue I don't know about. Since, I am not a repair expert, I am only guessing here. But, it's a bummer, though I can live with it for now. I will eventually find a fix for it, I am sure. It could be something very minor or not. I just don't know.

8 minutes ago, DegasElite said:

Thanks. I wonder if it is one of three things:

• May need possible re-capping of motherboard.
  • Video shifter may be damaged.
  • May need new power supply.

Or, it's some other issue I don't know about. Since, I am not a repair expert, I am only guessing here. But, it's a bummer, though I can live with it for now. I will eventually find a fix for it, I am sure. It could be something very minor or not. I just don't know.

Hopefully nothing major, I thought too, maybe one of the caps is leaky and giving the bad voltage.