Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

A History of the Atari 2600 - The Beginning of the End

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,154 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 11:55 PM

http://classicgames....600Histor_2.htm

Another misinforming article on the the downfall of Atari.  :wreck-it-ralph: 

"Warner sold-off Atari in 1984 to Commodore Business Machines who immediately closed the game publishing wing." 

What!?!?!?!?!?  :o 

• atarilbc, Rowsdower70 and Lost Dragon like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#2 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:38 PM

Well, I had no idea. ;)

• Arenafoot likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#3 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,620 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Sloppy journalism??  On the internet??!!!??/  WHO KNEW?

• Arenafoot and Lost Dragon like this

#4 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 04:57 PM

Sloppy "journalism" is everywhere in gaming. There's a name for it that I won't use here. We try to promote accuracy in media at least as far as classic gaming.
  • RickR, Arenafoot, atarilbc and 1 other like this

#5 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 446 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:16 AM

His byline indicates that he is a "Classic Video Games Expert." Where can I get those credentials?
  • Justin, DeLorean, Arenafoot and 1 other like this

#6 DeLorean

DeLorean

• 385 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

His byline indicates that he is a "Classic Video Games Expert." Where can I get those credentials?

Right here! You're already quoted at the bottom of our 5200 history page: http://www.atari.io/atari/atari-5200/ We gotta add that "Classic Video Games Expert" byline
  • Justin, atarilbc and Yo-Yo like this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:06 AM

Sloppy "journalism" has been around for as long as i can remember, regarding Video Games Coverage and it's (sadly) showing little/no signs of improving.

I no longer buy anything like the number of commercial games publications i once did and it seems like almost every time i reach out to someone from the industry, to ask what happened to Games A-Z that magazines A-Z had proudly claimed were headed to various Atari formats or they'd seen running, it tirns out the claims and indeed screenshots used as 'proof' were utter fabrications.

The amount of coder/artist quotes i've looked into, only to find person X never said that, let alone worked on games for format/s quoted....

It seems YouTube and Wikip. are now classed as worthy research tools, anyone with a Facebook account can proclaim themselves a jurno.As long as you yous a proof reader, dot the i's, cross the t's...your now an expert in your field.

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 09:10 AM

I stopped buying commercial publications also because even to this day the story of the NES and the UK is being re-written to present it in a much more favourable light to Nintendo than what really happened.

You'd almost be forgiven for thinking the UK never even had the Atari 400/800/XL/XE and if it did, the hardware could equal the C64 even in it's twlight years...and little/no chance to see the A8 version of a cross-platform game get equal coverage or even mentioned.

The St is in danger of getting the same treatment, ignored so often in favour of covering the Amiga version, even if the differences between the 2 versions were minor cosmetics.

I'm proud of the research i've done for likes of Unseen64/GTW/ST Gamer etc.More to come and more Press claims proved false....

So no, not at all surprised to see yet more poor coverage here.

#9 atarilbc

atarilbc

Pretzel Member

• 446 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

Right here! You're already quoted at the bottom of our 5200 history page: http://www.atari.io/atari/atari-5200/ We gotta add that "Classic Video Games Expert" byline

This is the best thing ever! I'm updating my resume and social media accounts to reflect this new status!
  • Justin, RickR and Arenafoot like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users