Mac Mini

Atari 5200 Guy

16 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

The small three were just computers for people to tinker around with at home?  What kind of crap is that?  A computer is a computer no matter what breed it is, no matter how small or big it is. 

I remember taking computer programming classes in high school on old EPSON monochrome systems.  We were learning BASIC, which I had learned more at home.  But what we were making were spreadsheet and database programs.  The instructor/teacher kept saying we could do more than 64 files total just like you mentioned.  I thought BS and developed a program that could save to a hard drive up to 512 files.  I broke the barrier and the teacher never figured it out even when looking at my code.  All I did was store every file on the hard drive in a large array.  Each array held records for up to 64 files.  By having 8 arrays I expanded that to 512 files.  It worked but relied on two files.  The first one was a stored array while the second file was the database itself.  When you saved the database entries the program would also save a record of what the array looked like.  When you loaded the program it would look for that array file.  If missing it created a blank one automatically.  Then the program would look for the database file.  If missing it would create that as well.  Each number in the array pointed to a file in the database.  So if you needed a file number 32 in the second array it would fetch the data from the database.  It took a while to develop but the end result was worth it. 

The entire program was about 4k including the two saved files.  I used mine as an example of a movie database.  If a movie title was in the database it only took about 1 second for the program to find and display the movie information. If it wasn't it would ask if you would like to enter the new movie information.  The database stored movie titles, short descriptions, movie genre, rating, running time, and whether the movie was recorded in color or b/w.  If you wanted to you could have the program list every movie the database had, about 12 movie titles per screen.  Once a screen was loaded you could highlight a movie title and press ENTER to get more info or highlight two options at the bottom to advance or go back a screen.    

The one key feature that proved my program was going way beyond the 64 file limitation was a counter when it loaded.  Before turning the program over to user control it would literally count the number of entries in the database.  I purposely put over 200 items in the database just to prove a point.  Limitations are only made to be broken.  I broke it.  I wonder if he ever figured out how I did it.  Then again the guy was cool but had been literally struck in the head like three or four times by lightning checking on his cows during thunderstorms.  I don't know know how many times he told us those stories.  He was one of the best teachers I had, though, but I think I was teaching him more than he was teaching me.  I didn't even need to read the book we were assigned.  It didn't teach me anything new.  Things in it were things Atari and Commodore computers had already done before only much better and more efficient.  Even the Color Computer 3 I had at the time had already did similar things.

hi michael,

yep, the little three were way ahead at first, then they got dumb. the data base carey wrote for me is limited by disk space, up to 16 meg partition on a hard drive. 360k on a 5 inch disk, or 720k on a three inch disk.

atari limited their data base to 64 files, and 300 entries, all in ram. exceed 300 entries, you exceed ram, and no more entries. great looking program, easy to use, menu driven, and limited by 64 files and 48k.

by 1987, you still could not get them to budge. then they told me to buy a peecee!

yep, you did good. you should have worked at atari!

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
22735 Congo St. NE, Stacy, MN 55079
651-462-2500

2 hours ago, BlackCatz40 said:

First of all, if I do give up the Mac mini to give to Mike, it needs some real upgrading first. It needs at least an Intel Core2Duo CPU and 4GB of RAM to realize its potential. However, you can upgrade the Mac mini I have, with Lance's son's help. It can hook up to a standard television screen using an adapter, which I have for it, using either an RCA video or S-video cable. It really is a pretty cool unit. I would recommend that it gets some upgrading to the RAM and CPU first.

hi steve,

thanks, wes is looking also. maybe he has the stuff to upgrade the mac mini. i will keep all informed.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

A Falcon?!?  Yea.  I'd love to get my hands on a Falcon but a Mac would be bit closer to becoming a reality.  There's more of those floating around.  

Hmm.  Steve's Mac Mini would need serious upgrading?  Hmm.  Oh...found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A1176-Mac-Mini-Desktop-Personal-Computer/193182461828?epid=3007962194&hash=item2cfa926f84:g:PnwAAOSwJFVduHw~  

And if I get $5 off that would be $7.  $12.30 shipping so...$19.30 for a Mac Mini.  But there's no mentioning of what type of Mac Mini it is.  Model is A1176.  That's pre-dual core right?

Edited by kamakazi20012

These are in St Louis MO.  But are listed as parts/not working.  Says they won't power up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-Desktop-Core-Duo-1-83GHz-80GB-HDD-1GB-RAM-A1176-lot-of-2-for-part/254439269333?hash=item3b3dc323d5:g:1mYAAOSw1bNd41cF

These are bit more but I wonder if they can be built into one and made to work again?  If nothing else they might have the parts we'd need to upgrade Steve's Mini.  I still get the $5 off (until 12/14/19) so ... 14 + 15...$29 includes shipping.  These are dual core.  RAM would need upgraded but I think I can get some direct from Kingston

I'm being patient, waiting to see what you guys come up with, in the meantime I'm resourcing for others.  

Well...I just learned something about these older Macs.  It sounds like 4 GB is not possible with them according to Kingston.

https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/discontinuedmodels?model=39770&deviceType=2&mfr=APP&line=Mac+mini

Is that right?

Well, according to another site, if Steve's Mac Mini is the one with the white plastic (A1176) then 4 GB of RAM is not possible on those.  2 GB seems to be the max.  BUT...I know from experience with the iMac I had, while it ran OS X with 512 MB of RAM, you could do a LOT with very little on a Mac.

The main aspects a Mac has to do, if I can get one, in order of priority are:

• Allow the use of GIMP
  • Allow the use of 7800Basic AND Emerald Editor
  • Run a 7800 emulator

That is everything a Mac has to be able to do and the sole reason why I'm after one.  Yea, I can do that on Windows but Windows has not been very reliable lately.  And if I can get a Mac it will replace everything I do on Windows eventually.  From 7800 emulation to creating documents to eventually using it to capture and create the videos I like to make for my YouTube channel.  If I can do all that on a Mac with only 2 GB of RAM then I'm all for it.  I'd even take the risk of trying to get any of the ones I found cheap on eBay up and running.  I have widescreen VGA monitors I can use on a Mac, I have Windows keyboards, and I have a Logitech wireless mouse I can use.  I also have USB powered speakers I can use.  I can eventually pick up an Apple keyboard and mouse later.  At least the keyboard.  Windows' keyboards are not that great either.  At least not the ones made for basic use.  I'd like to be able to use iTunes on it so I can put music on my iPod Shuffle.  

Steve's idea of connecting a Mac to a TV sounds intriguing and interesting.  I could use the switchbox to change between game consoles and the Mac without having to unhook anything.  If I have to obtain one of those from eBay I'd only need a power supply for one and a copy of OS X that will run on one.  I can upgrade the HDD with larger HDDs I have here if they are of the laptop style (2.5").  Only if I have to though.  

20 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

A Falcon?!?  Yea.  I'd love to get my hands on a Falcon but a Mac would be bit closer to becoming a reality.  There's more of those floating around.  

Hmm.  Steve's Mac Mini would need serious upgrading?  Hmm.  Oh...found this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-A1176-Mac-Mini-Desktop-Personal-Computer/193182461828?epid=3007962194&hash=item2cfa926f84:g:PnwAAOSwJFVduHw~  

And if I get $5 off that would be $7.  $12.30 shipping so...$19.30 for a Mac Mini.  But there's no mentioning of what type of Mac Mini it is.  Model is A1176.  That's pre-dual core right?

hi michael,

it also says not working. lets see what my son comes up with. getting a working mac mini loaded, would be a better option, even if it costs more.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 12/6/2019 at 1:15 AM, kamakazi20012 said:

Well, according to another site, if Steve's Mac Mini is the one with the white plastic (A1176) then 4 GB of RAM is not possible on those.  2 GB seems to be the max.  BUT...I know from experience with the iMac I had, while it ran OS X with 512 MB of RAM, you could do a LOT with very little on a Mac.

The main aspects a Mac has to do, if I can get one, in order of priority are:

• Allow the use of GIMP
  • Allow the use of 7800Basic AND Emerald Editor
  • Run a 7800 emulator

That is everything a Mac has to be able to do and the sole reason why I'm after one.  Yea, I can do that on Windows but Windows has not been very reliable lately.  And if I can get a Mac it will replace everything I do on Windows eventually.  From 7800 emulation to creating documents to eventually using it to capture and create the videos I like to make for my YouTube channel.  If I can do all that on a Mac with only 2 GB of RAM then I'm all for it.  I'd even take the risk of trying to get any of the ones I found cheap on eBay up and running.  I have widescreen VGA monitors I can use on a Mac, I have Windows keyboards, and I have a Logitech wireless mouse I can use.  I also have USB powered speakers I can use.  I can eventually pick up an Apple keyboard and mouse later.  At least the keyboard.  Windows' keyboards are not that great either.  At least not the ones made for basic use.  I'd like to be able to use iTunes on it so I can put music on my iPod Shuffle.  

Steve's idea of connecting a Mac to a TV sounds intriguing and interesting.  I could use the switchbox to change between game consoles and the Mac without having to unhook anything.  If I have to obtain one of those from eBay I'd only need a power supply for one and a copy of OS X that will run on one.  I can upgrade the HDD with larger HDDs I have here if they are of the laptop style (2.5").  Only if I have to though.  

hi michael,

my mac mini has 4 gigs of ram, and a dual core. my son upgraded it. we hook up computers to the s-video all of the time. works for us.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

S-Video?  I can do that.  My 20" Sanyo flatscreen offers s-video.  Why didn't they make Windows machines do stuff like that?  That was a smart move on Apple's part.

2 hours ago, Video 61 said:

hi michael,

it also says not working. lets see what my son comes up with. getting a working mac mini loaded, would be a better option, even if it costs more.

lance

www.atarisales.com

Yep.  Getting one that works would be a better option.  The description on that one you seen said not working with the reason being they had no way of turning it on (no power supply).  It may work but I was just having a bit of fun seeing what all eBay had as Mac Mini options.  Those made with plastic seem to be pretty cheap for those that have no way of testing them.  Those like you got, the unibody Macs, are bit more costly.  Some still asking for close to original prices.  I found one that had never been used.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-2014-Mac-Mini-2-6GHz-Core-i5-1TB-Fusion-Drive-16GB-MGEN2LL-A-BRAND-NEW/184071564497?hash=item2adb852cd1:g:9s8AAOSwIV5d6Wds

See?  Brand new, never been opened, loaded...way over $300.  That's expensive.  Granted I'd give up something for it if I could but that's just too much.

I'm waiting to hear what your son finds but I'm also having fun seeing what eBay has to offer.  Heck...this one is a bit cheaper but still ... $143???  Ought to have free shipping at that price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-Mini-2-4GHz-Mid-2010-320GB-4GB-A1347-MC270LL-A-OS-X-High-Sierra-10-13/192605740006

These things must have a great resale value.  Maybe I ought to get those non working ones, fix em up, and resell them at a profit LOL.  Geez.  I don't know of any Windows or MS-DOS computer that has ever had that kind of resale value with the exception of the DELL XPS series computers and that's only because those machines are fully loaded gaming computers.  The only way a Windows PC would have that kind of resale value is if it was less than a year old and completely loaded with all the bells and whistles.  But that's extremely rare.  

This Mac Mini is one like Steven's (the plastic ones model A1283) made in 2009 but has been upgraded.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-mini-A1283-Desktop-MC239LL-A-October-2009-/283697225736?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c10#viTabs_0

Features:

• Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz processor
  • 4 GB of RAM (expandable to 8 GB)
  • 250 SSD Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics with 256 MB of RAM
  • OS X Yosemite (10.10.5) Installed

This one has to be the nicest one I've seen on there yet.  I'd have it.  Images of it show it has a power supply and a display adapter.  If it's DVI I have a DVI to VGA adapter I picked up with a bunch of PC cables a long time ago.  Been holding on to it should I ever get a Mac so that I can use the VGA display I have.  This one is nice.

731749630_MacMini.thumb.jpg.eded4349c21d0a5c8ec34e1c83446d07.jpg

This one is nice.  I'm praying your son finds one.

Well, my Mac mini is an A1176, but Lance's son said that it could be upgraded to a C2D CPU, Mac OS X Lion, and 4 GB of RAM. It just needs the kext files so it can go into 64-bit mode and a 64-bit processor. Then, theoretically, it could utilize 4 GB of RAM. But, the C2D (AKA: Core2Duo) must be 64-bit ready. They do have them. Cheap. You could probably find a CPU like that on eBay. At least, that is what I am guessing anyway. My Mac mini is from 2006. Right now, it has a Core Solo processor, 2 GB of RAM, and it is only 32-bit. Hell, my iMac alone actually can utilize 32 GB of RAM in 64-bit mode. That is entirely possible. The version of macOS that I am using is High Sierra and my iMac always has had a 64-bit EFI (Extensible Firmware Interface), even with Snow Leopard installed on it.

Originally, Apple factory specifications said my iMac can utilize only 16 GB of RAM. But, it can be upgraded higher, according to Other World Computing, a Mac reseller. They have done it with other iMacs of my genre using PC3-8500 RAM with DDR3 at 1066 MHz.

Edited by DegasElite

On 12/7/2019 at 12:48 PM, BlackCatz40 said:

I just realized that all C2D CPUs are 64-bit. I have one in my MacBook, but for some strange reason it only uses a 32-bit EFI. I don't understand that one. Stupid move there, Apple. But, I am pleased with it because it does the job I need it to do. :)

If it's anything like Windows did, you can have a 64-bit processor combined with a 32-bit OS.  Maybe the version of Mac OS on your MacBook is a 32-bit version.  You might try to see if you can find a 64-bit version of Mac OS for your MacBook.

There is one thing about Windows (Windows 10) that I am glad to finally see happen.  Microsoft closed the gap between PC and console gamers.  Now a PC person can play an online game with a console gamer and vice versa.  I honestly didn't think I'd live to see the day for that to happen.  As crappy as Windows is I'm glad to see that gaming milestone become a reality.  I think they are getting Nintendo on board and trying to get Sony to join as well (although Sony has been refusing).

I never understood why most PC gamers always looked down/frowned up on console gamers.  That was not how video games were intended to be portrayed at all.  

23 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

If it's anything like Windows did, you can have a 64-bit processor combined with a 32-bit OS.  Maybe the version of Mac OS on your MacBook is a 32-bit version.  You might try to see if you can find a 64-bit version of Mac OS for your MacBook.

There is one thing about Windows (Windows 10) that I am glad to finally see happen.  Microsoft closed the gap between PC and console gamers.  Now a PC person can play an online game with a console gamer and vice versa.  I honestly didn't think I'd live to see the day for that to happen.  As crappy as Windows is I'm glad to see that gaming milestone become a reality.  I think they are getting Nintendo on board and trying to get Sony to join as well (although Sony has been refusing).

I never understood why most PC gamers always looked down/frowned up on console gamers.  That was not how video games were intended to be portrayed at all.  

hi michael,

i am still waiting for my son to report back, please bear with me.

lance

www.atarisales.com

VIDEO 61 & ATARI SALES
www.atarisales.com
651-462-2500

On 12/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

Well, Snow Leopard is supposed to be configured to be 64-bit, but in certain situations. I do not know if my laptop can be upgraded to a 64-bit mode because of the 32-bit EFI. I wonder if Lance's son can update the EFI to 64-bit. For now, it is only in 32-bit mode, and since the EFI is 32-bit it cannot become a 64-bit machine. However, it might be trial and terror, so I will hold off. But, theoretically, my Mac mini can be upgraded to 64-bit. It may say so in the handy YouTube video you linked to on the club, Mike. I think that Mac mini on the video is the same model as mine. So, I guess it is possible to update the Mac mini to a faster Core 2 Duo processor and 64-bit EFI. With 4 GB of RAM, that should speed it up exponentially. I don't want to do that myself. So, I will wait for Lance's son when he has time. Thanks. :)

Edited by DegasElite

On 11/30/2019 at 12:30 PM, kamakazi20012 said:

Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar only works on PowerPC systems. You would need Snow Leopard for an Intel Mac mini for the best performance, unless it is newer. Then, you could put a more advanced OS X operating system on there. Leopard and Tiger OS X can work sometimes with Intel, but only if it utilizes Rosetta. I think that Panther OS X started utilizing Intel code as well, but Panther is also almost exclusively PowerPC-compatible.