Your Top 3 VCS Games (So Far)

Sabertooth

For me the list seems to change with every new Recharged series release. As it stands today, these are my top picks:

1) Jetboard Joust.

This was my personal pick for 2021 GOTY. Jetboard Joust takes a familiar formula and successfully layers on modern gaming elements, combined with a distinctive art style and frenetic action to create a superb arcade experience. 

2) Thrustlander.

Thrustlander is an exquisite cave flyer. It is also probably the best implementation of the Classic Joystick in any VCS game.

3) Breakout Recharged. 

Breakout Recharged is just super fun! All of the established hallmarks of the Recharged series are here but Atari seems to have perfected the formula. It may be the best Recharged game so far. It may be the best Breakout game too.

My favorites:

1) Breakout Recharged - Have liked this since it was released, and I've been playing Super Breakout on the 5200 (on the real system) too

2) Asteroids Recharged - Can't beat Asteroids! Have been playing some version of this since 1980. Fantastic game 😉

3) Planet Smashers (7800) - Never played this game before since it was too expensive to track down. I am finding it fun!

Aery - Bird Adventure is a close one for 3rd place. I always love playing this game to unwind and explore. Still a favorite.

This is opt to change every so often, but as of right now, this is what I've been playing.

BB

Edited by BallistikCoffeeBoy

Ok, my favorites have already changed 😉 haha! Mostly due to there being so many awesome titles released since this pst! Here goes:

1) Tempest 4000 - Because... this is the best dang game ever, period 🙂 My new top favorite, even though I also own it on XBox One, and I have T2K on the Jag and think that's pretty amazing too 

2) Kombinera - Loving this new puzzler, developed by Atari and Graphite Lab. It's Atari's first IP in like 7+ years or something, and it's a great effort, and much appreciated by a huge puzzler fan like me

3) Asteroids / 7800 (and all versions!) - I pick up ALL the flashback games, because I do love them all, but I've been playing Asteroids 7800 alot and also on the original console, as well. I play this then play Asteroids Recharged, as well as Asteroids on my Atari 800XL, and sometimes the 2600 version. Just love me some Asteroids lately! haha

BB

5 hours ago, Joe said:

My top vcs games right now are thrustlander , the recharged series and tempest 4000. Is it just me or does the music track ultra yak sound like Sam kinison when he screams?

Which Recharged game is your favorite? I find mine really just depends on my mood. They are all pretty strong.

24 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oooh that's a hard one. I'm going to have to say I am enjoying black widow the most at the moment. Just wish they had a leaderboard. But they are all great!

It does have a leaderboard! I'm no. 2 on the World leaderboard currently. Maybe try a reinstall?

1. Asteroids Recharged

2. ThrustLander

3. Breakout Recharged

I like all the games on VCS that use the Classic Joystick and especially the ones that utilize the spinner feature.

I also play a lot of Black Widow Recharged & Centipede Recharged but reserve my top 3 for games that use the spinner.

I absolutely love the VCS Classic Joystick and hope they make many more games that support it.

39 minutes ago, E. King said:

1. Asteroids Recharged

2. ThrustLander

3. Breakout Recharged

I like all the games on VCS that use the Classic Joystick and especially the ones that utilize the spinner feature.

I also play a lot of Black Widow Recharged & Centipede Recharged but reserve my top 3 for games that use the spinner.

I absolutely love the VCS Classic Joystick and hope they make many more games that support it.

The spinner definitely sets the VCS versions apart and makes it a unique platform.

Have you tried Black Widow with its rotary setting or dual Classics? Neither is as natural as dual thumbsticks but I like that Atari did it.

8 minutes ago, Sabertooth said:

The spinner definitely sets the VCS versions apart and makes it a unique platform.

Have you tried Black Widow with its rotary setting or dual Classics? Neither is as natural as dual thumbsticks but I like that Atari did it.

Yes I have tried it with single joystick spinner control but I don't have a 2nd classic yet to try the dual classic but will at some point.

It is great they added the spinner support because it is fun to play it that way just won't be chasing any high scores without the modern controller, lol.