Stranger Things 4

I'm late to the party as usual.  My wife and I finally started Stranger Things season 4 last night.  I'll try not to post any spoilers without the proper tag.  What's really fascinating this time is that the setting is now mid 80's and the kids are in high school.  Interesting to me because that's exactly when I was in high school. 

From an accuracy stand-point, I'll say they are doing a dang fine job of it.  Those look like kids from my era and the clothes and props look spot on.  Lots of big hair, but I don't remember blue eye shadow being so prevalent.  If it was...wow. 

Episode 1 was really good!  They started the show off intense.  It's pretty mild to me, but my wife was a bit taken aback by the gore.  There's a lot of characters now, and they do a decent job of catching everything up and also introducing new characters. 

My observations:

Spoiler
  • "Jane" is such a great character.  She's now a bit lost, very naive, and without Hopper looking out for her.  The acting here is really great;  I got drawn right into her struggles with fitting in and bullying.  Will is good too.  He's trying to help, but has issues of his own. 
  • The split stories between California and Indiana are interesting, but need better transitions between the two.  It can be a bit hard to follow, and "keeping in touch" seems like a real stretch. 
  • Too many characters?  Maybe.  Robin, Nancy, Jonathan, and Steve bring almost nothing to the table.  Should they have been cut?  Maybe they'll be a bigger part of the story later. 
  • The bad guy has Freddy Krueger undertones.  Excellent!  The show totally needs more definition on what and who the "upside-down" is about. 
  • New character Eddie is fantastic.  Oh man is he in trouble at the end there.  WOW! 

I'm up to episode 3, which was excellent -- especially the twist ending.  Very "Twilight-Zone"esque. 

Season 4 is firmly now in the "horror" category, finally going full Stephen King.  And it is awesome.  I think anyone who is a horror fan will love this season so far. 

Eddie Munson is easily one of my favorite characters. In that first episode, he reminds me very much of George Berger from the musical (NOT the movie version) Hair. (If you don't know, you just gotta trust me on that!)

Edited by dauber

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

1 hour ago, dauber said:

Eddie Munson is easily one of my favorite characters. In that first episode, he reminds me very much of George Berger from the musical (NOT the movie version) Hair. (If you don't know, you just gotta trust me on that!)

YES!  That's good.  My wife and I referred to him as Otto (from The Simpsons), but yours is much better.  

Episode 3 is just about a masterpiece in continuing to setup the story AND also move it forward.  Brilliant.  I had complained a bit about too much going on in ep 1, and that continues here...but it feels like it's all necessary now.  

Episode 4.  The show is intense.  I'm so glad I wasn't exposed to any spoilers, as this episode held a genuine surprise!

<Spoiler alert!>

Spoiler
  • I mentioned the "Freddy Krueger" connection for ep 1...and here we get as a special guest none other than Robert Englund!  WOW! 
  • One minor nitpick - I don't buy that Murray would have drank the coffee given his paranoia.