Atari Jaguar "Power Pad" (ST style color)

Boris

I recently got a grey Jaguar "Power Pad" and wondered when they were built and how many of them had been made. Having dug through the net, I already have a suspicion, but would be interested in more serial numbers. So if you have one, please post a photo of your serial number in this post. Currently, my assumption is that there were only 1.000 of them made, all produced in June 1993. (The no. 1 in these photos is mine 😎 ).

B4360000933.jpg

B4360000001.jpg

B4360000446.png

B4360000570.jpg

B4360000702.png

I have seen pics of this type of Power Pad before. The 1040STE computer had ports for the Power Pad. I had a 1040STE at one time, and remember the ports on the computer for this type of controller. Question: is the Power Pad exactly the same in configuration as the Jag pad, or not? They look the same in design, minus the color differences, but do they interchange with the Jag and STE and/or Falcon exactly?

The design is closely related to the design of the Panther console. Leonard Tramiel, who did not remember exactly, said it was plausible that they reused the design for this pad (and made it happen). John Mathieson said that these designs existed when he started working there. Prototypes of this design might have been around somewhere even earlier, as magazines were referencing it around 92 or even 91 - I dont' remember from the top of my head, but there is a reference (and chapter about this stuff) in Clipped Claws.

@walter_J64bit : Thanks for the addition! Same date code there.

55 minutes ago, Boris said:

The design is closely related to the design of the Panther console. Leonard Tramiel, who did not remember exactly, said it was plausible that they reused the design for this pad (and made it happen). John Mathieson said that these designs existed when he started working there. Prototypes of this design might have been around somewhere even earlier, as magazines were referencing it around 92 or even 91 - I dont' remember from the top of my head, but there is a reference (and chapter about this stuff) in Clipped Claws.

@walter_J64bit : Thanks for the addition! Same date code there.

Where's the date code? There's a few things I don't like about this controller, the cable is short and the D-pad is uncomfortable in long play. Other than that it's a Jag controller of another color. lol