Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Happy 36th Birthday Asteroids!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,169 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:39 PM

https://instagram.com/p/9muZ9lR_vQ/

Attached Thumbnails

• asteroids 30th.JPG

• Rowsdower70, StormSurge, AlamoAtari and 2 others like this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#2 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

Going to be breaking it out today.

#3 Rowsdower70

Rowsdower70

Pear Member

• 2,302 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Time to play some Astrosmash. ;)    I keed.

• StormSurge likes this

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

#4 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

I guess I missed this one earlier, still it's not too late to play a version. I'll have to see about downloading a version from Xbox arcade or something, since I don't have any version to play at the moment, with my Atari 8-bit and 2600 2600 Flashback in storage (I need to get the new home-brew version on cart, the vector version, it's on the FB IIRC). But my favorite version is Deluxe on the 7800, I think they did a really good job with the animated asteroids while still keeping the great original game play intact.

I wish the game Darxide, for the 32x was in NTSC form, as a 3D version would be cool, IMO, I've seen videos and it looks cool. Some guy on Youtube did a review and was mocking it, since it is just a 3D version of Asteroids, making fun suggesting nobody would want that. Another modern majority moron, IMO, I'd love it.

I'd hoped it would have been one of many, in a line of 3D's and 2000's on the Jaguar back in the day, with original, plus and 2000 versions. At least we got Tempest 2000, Defender 2000 and Missile Command 3D. And to a lesser extent Breakout 2000, though that could have been better. I imagine an Asteroids 2000/3D VR for the Jag, just like the prototype Missile Command VR. It's such a shame the Tramiel's pissed away such opportunities with their under-handed management tactics.

Edited by Bakerman, 25 November 2015 - 11:45 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this
"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Used to love the game on the 2600, then poured a lot of time into the home micro conversions of Blasteriods, 1st on C64, later Amiga, was always surprised game never made it to the Genesis in some enhanced form....

Never actually played Darxide, despite being a 32X owner there for a while, the absurd prices it was going for put me off, technically seems to push the 32X to the max.

Anyone ever try Activisions update on PS1?

I'd also add given how Atari screwed up a few of the 2000 series (Defender was not what i'd hoped for, Hoverstrike i liked, but Atari getting HMS to ditch, well, hide...the solid 3D version of Lynx Battlezone) going for things like Space war, yet ignoring coder wanting to do Marble Madness on Jaguar....

I honestly wonder how Asteriods might have turned out on Jaguar, if it meant the 32X game looked better....it'd been yet another open goal for Atari and the press would of done another incident like they did comparing 32X Metal Head with Jaguar Iron Solider...

• Greyfox likes this

#6 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

I have tried the activision one back in the day, and thought they did a great job on it, but Asteroids along with many other will hold a special place in my heart knowing that I lived and experienced the origins of the video game culture which I will always be entirely great fun for. So belated Happy Birthday ASTEROIDS , your one in a million, even though I could never reach such scores :)
  • RickR and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users