Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari ST - Rise of the Demoscene on KS!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

Fantastic news and i hope this means the book will find it's way to Amazon.Co.Uk, so i can put in a Pre-order.

I will admit though my (personal) 'beef' as it were Thalion's games not be that amazing to myself as an ST gamer at the time, pretty much lies with whilst pushing the hardware is fantastic, it doesn't automatically=fun to play and that's true of any system, Factor 5's Rogue Squadron III on Nintendo GameCube looked amazing, but has some crippling gameplay flaws in places, ditto Lair on PS3, early PS3 game, 1080P to boot, but a nightmare in terms of controls etc.

Thalion, for myself were in amongst likes of Core Design, Gremlin Graphics, Bitmap Bros etc, great supporters of the ST and you could see the inspiration for many of their titles had come from the arcades and console arena.

Gods is a fantastic Black Tiger clone, superb on ST, Torvak The warrior made up for no ST Rastan, Switchblade II was very Strider inspired and all the better for it, Warzone a great Mercs clone etc...

But then you had the duffers..Magic pockets, Wolfchild, Impossamole etc trying to do console games on ST/Amiga...

Thalion were no different...

Seven Gates Of Jambala..SMB inspired and pulled in scores like 71% here in UK in C+VG

Ghost Battle a Ghosts N Goblins clone, which itself seemed very similar to Milleniums Horror Zombies From The Crypt..mixed scores..520 ACE, 77% The One

Their superb Battlezone Clone:Trex Warrior, unless you were lucky to get The One Aug'93 Cover Disk, you'd never of had chance to play it.

Airbus was Thalion taking on Microprose and so on and so on.

A very RESPECTED developer for sure, but i'd hate to see another celbration of the developer, be a little TOO rose tinted as the past RG article was.UK mag reviews starting to appear here thanks to Clint, so folks can see for themselves and Ex-Thalion staffers themselves been open/honest enough to admit which games needed more work, so i hope to see a lot more of this open, honest, down to earth look at what went wrong, as well as what went right, in the book itself.

• Greyfox and Clint Thompson like this

#22 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:33 AM

Be great if book could give bit more info on the ST Tank game, Rotator, Thalion were working on.

All I know is it featured a rotating playfield.

The RG feature on Thalion never even mentioned it, so hopes high it will be looked into here..

#23 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 28 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

Bloody hell, i know i said the UK Press were not always that impressed by Thalion's work, but Amiga CD32's review scores are simply absurd:

Chambers Of Shaolin 6% "Arguably the worst beat-em-up in the history of mankind"

Seven Gates Of Jambala 8% "..Dreadful platformer, looks like an 8bit game, plays considerably worse".

#24 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:34 AM

Another bit of UK triva/insight into how Thalion's titles were promoted by UK Publisher at the time, Grandslam:

With Atomix, there was the prize of an Amiga up for grabs, for the 1st school who's Chemistry teacher had completed the game and a further £100 prize for the 1st gamer to nominate a teacher :)

Just little touches like this i like, yet you never seemed to read about when company covered by likes of Retro Gamer magazine.

• Greyfox likes this

#25 rockabit

rockabit

• 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

Finally it’s available. In case you want to start with the Atari ST story just visit my new shop at https://www.microzeit.com

• Lost Dragon likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users