Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari ST top ten Shoot'em up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:05 PM

I cam across this fantastic video thanks to my friends on Twitter from a you tuber by the name "Games of Gears" this looks to be the first of many hopefully ST videos showing again how great the ST is as a games machine, highly polished production values, this guy knows how to present them.

So please show your support by giving it a watch and start a little topic on your favorite ST shooters that wheren't on the listed.

Check out the video here

For me

FTL's "Oids"
ERE's "Trauma"
Nexus Information Systems's "Hades Nebula"
Firebird's "Mr.Heli"
Thalamus 's "Armalyte - The Final Run"

All great shooters in my opinion...

Have a good one.

Edited by Greyfox, 12 August 2016 - 04:10 PM.

• RickR and Lost Dragon like this

Atari Gamer Magazine - Explore the Atari 8-bit in the 21st Century

↓↓Click Here to See More↓↓

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,938 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Very nice.  I subscribed.

I'm coming at this from a little different angle...I did not have an ST back then, but I have one now.  I'm always interested to know the best games to try.  So I'll be taking notes from this video and any future ones, plus your list.  So thank you!  Keep on sharing.  You've got an active listener here. 

• Greyfox and Lost Dragon like this

#3 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

Very much appreciate the heads up, will view video later, but HAVE to disagree over:

Thalamus 's "Armalyte - The Final Run" 

Awful on 16 Bit, it joins Wizball and Platoon as being far, far more at home on the C64, Robocop on ZX Spectrum 128K.

I know it scored ok, but it felt 'off' to myself on 16 bits...difficulty level was messed abart with and game suffered as a result...plus game was THE technical showcase for C64 at the time, ST version? just looked nice enough, wasn't pushing the hardware.

Hopefully Star Ray, Blood Money, Llamatron, join Oids (superb),Mr Heli etc in that vid.

Also hope to see 1st Xenon (2nd was style over substance) Sidewinder (loved the BSG explosions), Silkworm, SWIV, Anarchy, Atomic Robokid, etc

• Greyfox likes this

#4 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:26 AM

The video covers a good selection, but none that have been mentioned here, after having another bash at Armalyte , it is a little basic and ordinary for a shooter ad upon looking at its a run of the mill affair, but hey its still nostegic for me.

Your reference to Platoon and Wizball, I loved Wizball, I though Pete Johnson did a great port of it, platoon I loved for the music created by David Whittaker, the game was ridiculously hard and misdirectional. But I though Wizball was ace, but yest it didn't push the hardware but did it need too?

Yeah StarRay , blood money, Silk worm and it's sequel SWIV were brilliant, but aren't mentioned in the video above, but this is a trail video to see what works and what didn't, so I suspect to see another one, that should cover these hopefully or I might just do one myself :)

Edited by Greyfox, 13 August 2016 - 06:26 AM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#5 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:36 AM

Checked out video last night, very nice :) his voice reminds me of a UK stand up comic, who's name escapes me though.

Armalyte i poured so much time into on C64, so it's always going to feel at home for me there, plus it was doing things established legendary coders like Andrew Braybrook had said were impossible on C64, so i had high hopes the publishers would go after a similarly skilled team to really push the ST hardware, sadly that wasn't the case....

Something like R-Type 2, whilst not all that, gameplay wise, i felt got more from the STFM

Creatures again, felt more at home on C64, ditto Hawkeye and that was all publisher released on ST, was it not?

Amiga at least had Venom Wing, which did use the hardware:impressive use of colour/shading, lots of impressive sprites being thrown around, slick, parallax scrolling  (but then when you have the Blitter as standard on your hardware...)etc

Platoon? really suited C64's murky colour range, plus superb music, loved on C64, ST soundchip tried it's best, but nope....just wasn't happening, sampled death screams and higher resolution sprites, i just felt ST version was weaker, (but in fairness never got on with the NES version, either), wasn't pleased to see slowdown on a 16 bit version either, it seemed another basic upgrade with Ocean doing little to take advantage of being on more powerful hardware.

If we are talking 8 bit shooters on ST....

Slayer, Zynaps,few others made the jump, not realling adding much to the C64 versions, but might be worth folks checking out if they are unfamilar with them.....

I never took to Minter's Defender 2 or Andes Attack, massive ships and too much messing around with by Jeff, though i know both have their fans...

From a technical level..Zero 5 deserves a mention as do Wings Of Death, Lethal Xcess.

Dogs Of War, Baal, Llamatron, TNT, X-Out, Z-Out, Typhoon Thompson, Eliminator....

Enough across genres with shooting elements for folks to discover. 

• Greyfox likes this

#6 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 04:46 PM

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=KER6jk7zHkk

Nice video here looking at Gemini Wing and interview with Imagitec music guru..

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 02:01 PM

Here's another often overlooked ST shooter and by Sculptured Software no less, Outcast..
  • The Professor and Greyfox like this

#8 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Bit of a late reply to Greyfox, regarding ST Wizball..

Sensible Software admit ST and Amiga versions play differently to the C64 version, they put it down to people handling conversions tending to convert what they see, not what they play..
  • Greyfox likes this

#9 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

Another shooter I never see mentioned..Spaceport:

Not exactly mind blowing, does not stretch the ST etc, but if your after a Sci fi Choplifter on the ST...

#10 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 11:55 AM

Or how about Deathstrike?

Primitive visuals,but nice early example of smooth scrolling, with large playfield on the ST...

#11 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:24 PM

A little on the brown side but..

#12 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 12:44 PM

Another shooter I never see mentioned..Spaceport:
https://youtu.be/SYnY2PBxUUQ
Not exactly mind blowing, does not stretch the ST etc, but if your after a Sci fi Choplifter on the ST...

Hilarious this one, I remember this game very well and for the choice of copy Kat releases, this was a complete take 16-bit rendition of the classic Synaps Software "Fort Apocalypse" I played back in 1984, such great memories of that game here is a comparison video from the Atari 8bit version, tough as shit, but brilliant had far better scrolling than the ST version too.

This St version of the game tho, had great title music, The music being possible written by the same musician from another game with light cycles called "Extensor" and can been seen here had to have written By Holger Gehrmann a great programmer and musician himself.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Ne91C7NX19U

Some other under appraised titles worth for inclusion are

Outzone from Lankhor

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KRuu4GR5EKg

Phobia from Imagework(Poxy tough game this)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9-mIlBmf064

And a great little gem of a game..

Skyrider (had a great digitised opening tune if you had 1 meg machine) which took the Gold Runner concept one step further. Game start about 3:38 mark.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=9kC8IgS-MFA

Have a good one.

Edited by Greyfox, 09 October 2016 - 01:33 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#13 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:05 PM

Sweet...

Had Phobia on C64, like Zig Zag, I admired what Tony Crowther was trying to do, but game lacked that sweet spot.

When you look at the ST games being covered on here, you really do wonder why Trantor last stormtrooper was chosen for ST coverage by RG some while ago, so much more to pick from on ST...
  • Greyfox likes this

#14 Greyfox

Greyfox

Orange Member

• 211 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 02:29 PM

Lol that's what happen when you have the scope of a goldfish regarding software for the ST machine, most ST users or should I say the majority of them only ever experienced the main stream titles and had fuck all clue what was outside the confines of there home town computer store, regardless of what the magazines where showcasing it simply didn't compete with the big software houses unless they released them, so this is how limited a lot of so called ST expert wannabes are, which is a total lost to them never going to have experienced the fun and excitement we did back then.

The St was incredibly verse in its software a lot more than people give it credit for, that is why we are here to say different. I just hate educating the self proclaimed supremo's in my book the lame-o's

Kudos pal.

Edited by Greyfox, 09 October 2016 - 02:33 PM.

• Lost Dragon likes this

WWW.ATARIGAMER.CO.UK

#15 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

I so hear you my friend.

Far too often blinkers appear to have been used when reporting on the ST.

The same Atari UK source used and sometime incorrectly credited, position wise..Marketing getting mixed up with company director for example and thus you never get to hear inside story on events before they joined...

Whilst i've had the good fourtune to chat to likes of Darryl Still, Les Player (RIP), Mike Fulton, Bob Katz, Martin Walker etc who all worked at Atari Uk at 1 time or another, there are just as many Atari UK names i've never found or been able to chat with and thus so much remains out of reach.

But even if your simply out to broaden what people percieve the ST had to offer as a Games Machine, an aspect which was indeed key in Atari UK's marketing, cue the various bundles of 'Free' software that came with various models, you'd at least try and strech out your reach and give a broadest possible viewpoint, espically if you were say introducing the UK side of the ST to places like the rest of Europe, the USA..

Would you really be looking to showcase games simply ported from the ZX Spectrum i wonder? or go with B.S claims of the likes of Capcom being so impressed by US Gold developer wringing as much as they could from a Strider licence?.

I dunno, maybe it's just me.

I do feel strongly the very early ST games, despite primitive in looks, should be covered just as much as the biggies, things like Dungeon Master etc are of course flagship ST games and yes, folks went Ga Ga for Xenon 2's visuals, but that doesn't mean the early ST works weren't pulling off clever routines as people experimented with the hardware.

As for the self proclaimed Retro Personality types, those who feel they represent the entire UK side of all that's Atari, again i ask how come they haven't reported on things like:

-Sir Clive slagging it/Atari off and trying to get folks on board with the QL are UK specific...

-The Falcon and Japan?

-ST Head Over Heels 2 sadly never being completed?

-Lost ST games the likes of GTW are now kindly sharing with us?

And why are such wild claims as ST Robocop was 100% conversion of Data East coin op, allowed to be passed off as fact, when Ocean themselves were very clear at the time, game was based 50% on coin-op, 50% on earlier 8 Bit versions?.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users