Retro Photos of Theme Park Construction

RickR

I'm fascinated by pictures of the construction of classic theme-park rides, and I hope others are too.  A lot of these rides have been around for decades, so it's interesting to see how they made them so resilient. 

I'm going to start with this one of the Maelstrom ride at the Norway pavilion at Epcot in Florida (opened in 1988).  It's since been updated to "Frozen", but the ride layout is the same.  You can kind of see the three levels that the boats take here.

Maelstrom-construction.jpg

6 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

My favorite Disney World ride, since 1980.

Here are some great pictures and info about the DisneyWorld version: http://www.imagineeringdisney.com/blog/2013/6/17/magic-kingdoms-space-mountain-construction.html

I love that ride too.  Much bigger than the DL version.  But when they rebuilt the track on the DL version several years ago, that one became really special because it is so smooth.

I have a whole collection of WDW stuff I will have to upload and share. I have some original stuff from the visitors center from before it opened, and some items from my great uncle who oversaw construction of some electrical systems in the Magic Kingdom.

I always thought the modular construction at Tempo Bay where the hotel rooms were pre-fab and slid right into the structure of the resort was amazing. 50 years of hurricanes and it’s just fine.