I Just Spotted An ST

Guessing they use some pretty specific / esoteric software for the experiments that is really hard/impossible to replace, so the Atari soldiers on! 👍

Not sure where the researchers were from, but Ataris were quite common in universities in Germany and eastern Europe more generally in the 80s and 90s, so might well be a legacy of that. I remember seeing quite a few TTs and Mega ST/STes kicking around Uni Hamburg in the mid-90s. I really hope the software they're using is preserved somewhere accessible - it'd be great to see more of how Ataris were (and still are!!!) used in research and academia 🙂

3 hours ago, Nebpehtira said:

Guessing they use some pretty specific / esoteric software for the experiments that is really hard/impossible to replace, so the Atari soldiers on! 👍

Not sure where the researchers were from, but Ataris were quite common in universities in Germany and eastern Europe more generally in the 80s and 90s, so might well be a legacy of that. I remember seeing quite a few TTs and Mega ST/STes kicking around Uni Hamburg in the mid-90s. I really hope the software they're using is preserved somewhere accessible - it'd be great to see more of how Ataris were (and still are!!!) used in research and academia 🙂

Atari STs were used in local law enforcement here to help find criminals.  I wonder why they never made it to my area?  And by that I mean my part of the country.  If I would have had one of those instead of my 386 I would have been content as long as I could find software for it.  I would have missed out on those PC shareware games from id software though.  Still, it would have been an interesting ride.  Doing my schoolwork on an Atari would have probably been more interesting than your run of the mill PC.