Lithium Ion Battery pack for the Atari 5200

- Ω -

The 5200 is one of Atari's more power hungry consoles.  So you would want to treat it like an RC car; the more MaH you can get the better.  Between 10 - 12 volts max.  More than that could fry the console.  If you can get at least a 3000 MaH battery you might do OK.  I wouldn't expect more than 2 hours of battery time with the 5200.  Too many processors and the controllers require at least 5 volts to operate.  But I could be wrong.  

Let me know what you come up with as this is interesting.

There are two 7805s in the thing that drop the voltage down to 5v the system actually uses. So if you could find something that only provided +5 with lots of current, then you could just wire it directly in front of the two outputs from the VRs.

On the controllers themselves, I don't believe the stock controllers use the +5 or even have a wire in them for it. I know the Trak-Ball does and I believe my Wico keypad did, but when the cable broke on that, I replaced it with a standard 5200 controller cable and it worked fine without the +5. Even with an actual Wico 5200 controllers plugged into it is still works without issue so that +5 line wasn't used very often near as I can tell.

But now I have to ask...

Why?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

12 hours ago, CrossBow said:

But now I have to ask...

Why?

I hate cords, I hate fighting with cords, cords get in the way.  I had illusions of making a wireless 5200, but lag did the old 86 on that idea.  As to why, I hate getting off my posterior everytime I want to try a different game, which is often, to shut off and restart the 5200 so the AtariMax can get back to the window.  What I thought might be an easier solution of just making a remote switch didn't go as expected.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Upon further reflection, I believe a solenoid would do the trick, attached to a 3D printed bracket that slides under the unit and above the on/off switch.  Problem is, I have no 3D printer, and no time to go hunting for parts.  So unless someone offered one for sale,  I'll never get one.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>