Atari VCS PC-Mode USB

Sabertooth

One of the coolest features of the Atari VCS is its ability to double as a fully functioning mini-PC via "PC Mode."   Personally, I run Windows off of a fast USB for emulation on my VCS. Others use an external HDD or have installed a partitioned SSD and boot manager. However, not everyone has the technical wherewithal to put a boot image on a second drive to access PC-Mode.  Well, Atari has heard their cries.

Enter The Atari VCS PC-Mode USB. This "PC On-A-Stick" is an Atari branded, 128 GB USB that is preloaded with the newest Debian OS. Just put it in the USB port of your VCS, turn it on and you've unlocked the mini-PC potential of your VCS.

The stick itself is a Kinsgston 3.2 USB. No info on the transfer rate.

Here are the specs:

- 128 GB with 110 GB of usable free space for storage

- Debian OS, version GNU/Linux 11 (Bullseye)

- LibreOffice suite (fully compatible with Office 365)

- Chrome web browser

- Etcher (used to create bootable USB drives to use alternate operating systems on the Atari VCS)

- Atari VCS OS and Bios disaster recovery images

Now, it's cool that Atari have gone through the trouble of providing this "PC On-a-Stick", productivity software and VCS recovery images on a slick branded USB. But they didn't do it free. The retail price of the sucker is $39.99!

What do you think of new Atari VCS PC-Mode USB?

USB_v02b.jpeg

Edited by Sabertooth

I've never really considered that aspect of the VCS, using mine strictly as a game console.  I knew it was possible to set the VCS up as a mini-PC, but I also know a project like that can be very time consuming in setting it up.  So this idea of a pre-configured card is really good!  I'm going to check it out.  $40 to save a bunch of time is worth it!

Edited by RickR

Well, the USB stick is on sale for Black Friday for only $30.  Still, I decided not to buy it.  I don't think I'll ever use the VCS as a PC and the idea of dragging a keyboard/mouse up to my gaming room makes me feel tired :) 

BUT...in looking at the site, I *did* decide to buy a couple of shirts.

image.png

But anyway, just to repeat, the stick would be a real time-saver and at $30 is a great deal this week. 

20 minutes ago, RickR said:

Well, the USB stick is on sale for Black Friday for only $30.  Still, I decided not to buy it.  I don't think I'll ever use the VCS as a PC and the idea of dragging a keyboard/mouse up to my gaming room makes me feel tired 🙂

BUT...in looking at the site, I *did* decide to buy a couple of shirts.

image.png

But anyway, just to repeat, the stick would be a real time-saver and at $30 is a great deal this week. 

Nice score @RickR! $22.50 for the t-shirts is a great deal. I had the yellow Tempest tee in my cart but I'm currently in-between sizes so I'm holding off on shirts.

From Discord, the stick also includes things like GIMP and sound editing tools. I am getting one at the Black Friday price just to see what it's about and how usable it is.

The USB with great read write tax transfer + 128GB+ Live Mode persistent+ BIOS and system backup= great deal with small price. I try to buy this more gamepad more the sweetshirt of Asteroids, but when I try to pay I see that Atari now no sends items of site store to Europe market and I am from Portugal so because this I cant buy if I can I did and take advantage of this black friday promotion prices.

Edited by Portaro

The USB is a very streamlined, plug and play experience. Plug in the USB and Debian will launch without any action. Account setup and navigation are straightforward.  The interface feels very snappy for lack of a better word.

AtariOS and BIOS recovery are also on the stick and can be selected at boot-up, if needed.

Overall, a neat little package for $30 and it definitely all but eliminates the barrier for PC-Mode.

Edited by Sabertooth

Here is a pretty decent first impressions video from John Hancock on this PC stick and walk through of Debian. It gives you a pretty good sense of what it can be used for from a gaming perspective but he doesn't get into productivity. Still worth checking out if you're curious about Linux on a VCS.

On 12/10/2022 at 3:03 PM, Portaro said:

Im very sad about the fact that Atari dont sell the USB on Europe. I really like if I can see the work that the team do in the custom Debian ISO.

If One Day they release It on web to down maybe I can see the work. 

On eBay I cant find any USB I Will stay tunned if appear One. 

Great USB and idea of the Atari Team. 

Hey Portaro, You can still make your own USB stick with Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc, any flavor of Linux you want. Let me know if you need help!

BB

On 12/12/2022 at 9:40 PM, Ballistik said:

Hey Portaro, You can still make your own USB stick with Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc, any flavor of Linux you want. Let me know if you need help!

BB

Yes you are in reason but for me if I can I really like if I can buy the USB because for me is a piece of art is the Atari customization of Debian in effect is the only console with kernel Linux that do this, I am a fan and entusiasta of Linux. I choose this console because It is officially Linux based system with purely games with a store for them with license and Open development based on Debian. So in my special case probably I Will not use much the USB as a USB to work but instead as a little piece of Linux and Atari power. I have some USBs here and of course I use some of them to make a bootable ISO Linux and Run on PC-Mode of the console. Thanks for your support.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:09 PM, Portaro said:

Yes you are in reason but for me if I can I really like if I can buy the USB because for me is a piece of art is the Atari customization of Debian in effect is the only console with kernel Linux that do this, I am a fan and entusiasta of Linux. I choose this console because It is officially Linux based system with purely games with a store for them with license and Open development based on Debian. So in my special case probably I Will not use much the USB as a USB to work but instead as a little piece of Linux and Atari power. I have some USBs here and of course I use some of them to make a bootable ISO Linux and Run on PC-Mode of the console. Thanks for your support.

I agree completely! I just dont want those who missed out to lose hope. There is still a way! Or maybe they can decorate their own Atari USBs! that would be fab. Thanks man!