Mad Magazine

Justin

11 minutes ago, Video 61 said:

thats very sad. comic books used to be a big thing in this country

It is sad.  But the comic book industry is still thriving.  Magazines are not, unfortunately.  I hope that if people still enjoy magazines that are still active, they still buy or subscribe.  That's the only way they will survive. 

I remember that right before MAD went kaput, they were selling subscriptions at a very discounted rate.  I know a bunch of people that bought, and I almost did as well. 

I think in their case a lot of the "old-guard" staff retired or passed away, and it was probably difficult to replace them with people who had the same passion for that medium. 

Here is some interesting info from the Wikipedia entry for MAD:

Throughout the years, Mad remained a unique mix of adolescent silliness and political humor. In November 2017, Rolling Stone wrote that "operating under the cover of barf jokes, Mad has become America’s best political satire magazine."[16] Nevertheless, Mad ended its 65-year run in New York City at the end of 2017 with issue No. 550 (cover-dated April 2018),[17][18] in preparation for the relocation of its offices to DC Entertainment's headquarters in Burbank, California.[18][19] None of Mad's veteran New York staff made the move, resulting in a change in editorial leadership, tone, and art direction. More than a hundred new names made their Mad debuts, while fewer than ten of Mad's recurring artists and writers remained regular contributors.[20] The first California issue of Mad was renumbered as "#1." Bill Morrison was named in June 2017 to succeed Ficarra in January 2018.[18][21]

AT&T acquired Time Warner in June 2018.[22] Morrison exited Mad by March 2019, during a time of layoffs and restructuring at DC Entertainment.[23][24] After issue No. 10 (Dec. 2019) of the new Burbank edition, Mad began to consist almost entirely of curated reprints with new covers and fold-ins, with the exception of year-end specials and minimal amounts of new content. Distribution to newsstands stopped, with the magazine becoming available only through comic-book shops and by subscription.[25][26]

In 2021, a spinoff made for pop culture parodies respectively named Claptrap was born