What's your preferred OS?

walter_J64bit

Atari DOS 2.5

Back in the day, I got a RAM upgrade and was able to create a RAMDisk.  I tried SpartaDOS at that point, but I think I ended up with a hacked version of DOS 2.5 that supported the RAMDisk.  For me, it was all about keeping compatibility with all my existing disks.

Nowadays, I don't really concern myself much with it.  I use a UnoCart and just work with ATR and other image files. 

1 minute ago, socrates63 said:

I have the 2600 Unocart but wasn't aware of one for the A8. I'm going to look into it. It's fun to see all the options available nowadays.

True. I think the Unocart can download updates through Wi-Fi as well. I had heard about that, now that you mention it. It's a cool setup, from what I understood about it.

8 minutes ago, DegasElite said:

True. I think the Unocart can download updates through Wi-Fi as well. I had heard about that, now that you mention it. It's a cool setup, from what I understood about it.

I actually haven't used my Unocart yet, but I know Rick has and loves it. The Unocart's merit to me is the high score board support. Otherwise, even with wifi support, it'a functional duplicate of the Harmony Encore which is what I usually use.

Surprisingly, I don't see mention of the wifi capability on TBA's product lists for both the A2600 and A8 Unocart.

edit: @DegasElite I just realized that you and I have confused the Unocart with the PlusCart 😂 It's the PlusCart that has wifi capability and not the Unocart. I don't have a Unocart. I do have the PlusCart but haven't used it.

Edited by socrates63

The 8-bit UnoCart is very simple and works well for most of the games I like to play.  My favorite feature is a "search" function, which makes it easy to find an image in a giant collection. 

For those few games that don't work, I switch back to the USB cable thing (SIO2PC?  I can't remember the name) that allows a laptop to emulate the Atari disk drives. 

I've looked into FujiNet.  While I'm very impressed with all it can do, I prefer simple and easy. 

You guys are on it.  PlusCart is the one with Wifi, and that is my favorite for the 2600.  It works so well, has the high-score thing as mentioned, and also....this is big....somebody else keeps it all up to date.  I don't have to worry about updating an SD card.  And the interface is really nice too.