Repairing and restoring a SuperGrafx

MaximumRD

Description: 

In this video I repair and restore a rare video game console called the SuperGrafx. This console was a market failure, but that’s what makes it so interesting. This is an extremely thorough restoration that took over 8 hours to complete. Once I’m done with refurbishing the console, it’s better than new!

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

People love to say “fAiLeD cOnSoLe”. It’s like a meme at this point. NEC briefly made this variant of the PC Engine for the Japanese market and released 5 SuperGrafx games before moving on to the Super CD and Arcade CD which was better technology. They chose a different path. This was fairly common for products at that time to be released in Japan first, almost like a test market. SuperGrafx added an additional GPU that put another layer of graphics into PC Engine games. All but one SuperGrafx games were also PC Engine compatible. I’ve played the SuperGrafx games, they’re cool but I love the Super CD and Arcade CD much better. Of the few decisions NEC got right, the Super CD was a big one.