Chicago TImes Newsletter

All: 

There's a great new TI newsletter available for everyone interested in the TI computers.  Please take a look here:  https://www.chicagotiug.org/chicago-times-newsletter

We're also lucky enough to have creator @John Behnke here. 

Please spread the word and make sure you ask any questions you might have or help you need here in the atari.io forums. 

Thank you Rick for allowing us the space here to help distribute as well as solicit contributions for the newsletter. It's a bit hard re-starting something that has been dormant for decades but I remember how excited I was to get each issue every month in the mail. There were many other excellent newsletters by other user groups and some are still being printed but this was the one that was most dear.

In restarting this we made a few changes. The first, of course, is that it will not be distributed by mail and it will be free of charge. The cost alone to mail this would be huge but today it's far easier to distribute it in PDF format which also allows us to print it in color. You download it, you print it, read it on your computer or on your phone. It's that simple. Now we will be printing hard copies for those who take the time to attend one of our meetings in person as well as having copies available at the TI Faire but the cost to print those is small vs a worldwide distribution.

So what is the purpose of this newsletter?

1. Nostagia - We're going to handpick some great articles, ads, programs and pictures from the good old days. Right now we have a bit more of this than we would like but until we start gaining fresh sources of new material, we have to fill the pages and I'm sure you do not want to see nothing but my ramblings LOL

2. Drum up support for the community and rekindle some of the fun we all had in better times. Sure we're a bit older and we have even lost a few great friends by way of relocation or in passing but communication is one of the most outstanding things in modern times and we can meet old freinds as well as new by means of great forums such as this and if a newsletter helps in a small way then so be it!

3. If I can create a newsletter in a few hours, so can you! If re-starting this newsletter helps nudge your group into doing the same, let's trade ideas and exchange newsletters and rediscover the special place in our hearts for this little machine we bought so long ago.

4. We'd like this to be an international edition. We've already gotten a few outside contributions and even a few from England.

Now before I end this long post, I'd like to ask everyone out there what they would like to see. What they liked about the first few issues and what we could make better. I'd also welcome articles, game and program reviews and we'll even accept small ads for new items for sale that would be of interest to the community. We want to make this the best we can and we could use your help!

Thanks again to this great forum for not only supporting the TI community but also allowing us this space. Thanks!

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the news, Rick. It's incredible that the Chicago TI user group has been meeting regularly, and true to old school, in a library room, and there's videos of the meetings 👏 👏 Trivia about Scott Adams, Infocom ❤️

I miss those user group days. I told my wife recently that I want to fly to Texas to attend a T.A.C.O. Atari user group meeting.

Edited by socrates63

I have started work on our Super Summer Edition of the Chicago TImes Newsletter. This newsletter is larger than normal and takes the place of the June-July-August Editions.

So with all this extra space I need stuff to put in them. If anyone is selling TI related hardware/software and would like a free 1/2 page ad, please forward the ad to me. I'm also looking for articles and game/program reviews of both new or old software. If you're not great at writing, no worries as I'll clean it up for you if needed.

Please forward any material you wish to submit to: chicago.ti994a.usersgroup@gmail.com

Thanks!

On 4/13/2024 at 1:18 AM, John Behnke said:

I'm also looking for articles and game/program reviews of both new or old software.

Please forward any material you wish to submit to: chicago.ti994a.usersgroup@gmail.com

I'll keep this in mind for future reference. 🙂

<<< My YouTube Page >>>