Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Atari Flashback 2 Mod

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PotatoBox

PotatoBox

Strawberry Member

• 43 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:19 PM

Has anyone tried moding an FB2 before so that it'll take real 2600 carts? I've been wanting to do this for awhile but never got around to doing it. Is it something that a person with basically no solder experience can do?

• LeeJ07 and AlamoAtari like this

#2 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

I've thought about it, but it looks a little too advanced for me.  The cartridge slot connection points are really small and close together, and there are a lot of them to connect. 

It would be cool to have one though. 

Edited by RickR, 12 December 2015 - 01:30 PM.

• AlamoAtari and MalakZero like this

#3 Arenafoot

Arenafoot

Atari VCS/2600 Homebrew curator

• 2,167 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:09 PM

There's several "how-to" guides online......I wouldn't try it personally. If I'd want one that bad, I'd just buy one already modded.

• AlamoAtari likes this

consoles I own: Atari 2600 Vader & Jr. (short rainbow) w/box, GCE Vectrex, Radio Shack CoCo2 (64k) w/box, Intellivision, NES, SNES, N64 (x3), Xbox (Halo Ed.), PS1 (x3), PS2 slim, Wii, Mattel HyperScan (x2) handhelds I own: Microvision w/box, Electronic Football (by Sears) w/box, Tomytronic Pac-Man w/ box, Entex PacMan2, Coleco Donkey Kong tabletop w/box (w/ Coleco "Perma-Power" Adapter), & all MGA Classic Arcade's and Jakk's Pacific/TV Games Plug-n-Play.

#4 Bakerman

Bakerman

Orange Member

• 235 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 02:42 PM

I also thought about it, but I already have a 2600 and plan on getting a 7800 again, so I don't see the point for me personally. I only have an FB2 to use until I get around to getting more 2600 games again, since I only have a handful now.

• AlamoAtari likes this
"Slugs, he created slugs?...Is this not the work of a complete incompetent? I would have started with Lasers, 8 o'clock, day one."-Evil (Time Bandits)
"...burn the land and boil the sea, but you can't take the sky from me..."-theme song (Firefly)
"I try to respect him, I really, really do, but he's just such a Smeg-head."-Lister (about Rimmer, Red Dwarf)

#5 leolinden

leolinden

Pretzel Member

• 431 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

http://www.atarimuseum.com/fb2hacks/

Hope this helps!

• AlamoAtari likes this

young Atari lover

#6 AlamoAtari

AlamoAtari

Apple Member

• 510 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

The pads are a little small, but I think that it's not impossible. The real issue is getting the ribbon connection right. They are really close to each other.

#7 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,707 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:05 PM

And also finding a cart port.  Remember, you'll have to solder on that end too.

As I said, I thought about it a lot, and decided I'll probably do a composite mod on a real 2600 instead. 

• greenween, LeeJ07 and MalakZero like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users