CRASH: The Year Video Games Died

Arenafoot

Thanks for sharing this!  I like how he worded the ending about their never being a crash...video games just had recycled themselves.  I like the way that sounds.  As strange as it sounds the computers were going strong while consoles hit a brick wall.  It's good that someone else observes the crash in a different perspective. 

This video makes a good point that closely reflects my experience with the crash.   My gaming was a natural evolution from My INTV and my Atari 2600 to my Commodore Vic-20, and C-64.    I didn't really even notice any crash.  When I looked up from my C-64 in 1986ish or so, there was the NES and it went on.   

I think the early computer developers played their cards right, which was one of the leading factors that isn't discussed much.  The Commodore 64 hit the market in August of 1982, and the unit still holds the world's record for highest selling computer model of all time, between 10 and 12 million of these suckers ended up in people's homes...and make no mistake, gaming was a huge part of the appeal.    They started marketing home computers with the "why have a simple video game console when you can have a complete home entertainment and educational tool?" angle, and it worked.   Parents, including mine, knew that computers were the future and getting kids one was a wise investment. 

It wasn't until Nintendo came around in 1985 and differentiated itself as a console with some really solid, easily approachable titles that people saw that consoles could still offer something more casual for gamers.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

This video makes a good point that closely reflects my experience with the crash.   My gaming was a natural evolution from My INTV and my Atari 2600 to my Commodore Vic-20, and C-64.    I didn't really even notice any crash.  When I looked up from my C-64 in 1986ish or so, there was the NES and it went on.   

Exactly, I never noticed either. Like you and I suspect many, it was simply a natural common sense migration to computers which could not only do fantastic gaming but so much more so in this sense the so called "crash" simply did not effect me. It seemed only to be what was needed to kick start the console industry to evolve and offer more and they certainly did, had they not we'd likely have just computers for gaming today. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Archived