Sting-Ray Afternoons

StormSurge

This sounds like it will be right up our alleys. He's a fantastic writer. I'm looking forward to this.

Sting-Ray Afternoons: A Memoir https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316392235/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RJPtzbVH8NBX8

A wild and bittersweet memoir of a classic '70s childhood

It's a story of the 1970s. Of a road trip in a wood-paneled station wagon, with the kids in the way-back, singing along to the Steve Miller Band. Brothers waking up early on Saturday mornings for five consecutive hours of cartoons and advertising jingles that they'll be humming all day. A father-one of 3M's greatest and last eight-track-salesman fathers-traveling across the country on the brand-new Boeing 747, providing for his family but wanting nothing more than to get home.

It's Steve Rushin's story: of growing up within a '70s landscape populated with Bic pens, Mr. Clean and Scrubbing Bubbles, lightsabers and those oh-so-coveted Schwinn Sting-Ray bikes. Sting-Ray Afternoons paints an utterly fond, psychedelically vibrant, laugh-out-loud-funny portrait of an exuberant decade. With sidesplitting commentary, Rushin creates a vivid picture of a decade of wild youth, cultural rebirth, and the meaning of parental, brotherly, sisterly, whole lotta love.

So, Sting Ray Afternoons is a MUST read. This book was fantastic & right up our (as in age group) alley. He's not much of a gamer & is a little older than (most) of us, but it's a wonderful nostalgia trip. I highly recommend it.

SRAs ends when the author graduates high school. He has since announced a sequel that picks up where SRAs leaves off.

Castle.jpg.1bae96cf52856c663d6128e7e9250480.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316419435/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_1sUDCb72C96KB

On 2/27/2019 at 11:39 AM, StormSurge said:

So, Sting Ray Afternoons is a MUST read. This book was fantastic & right up our (as in age group) alley. He's not much of a gamer & is a little older than (most) of us, but it's a wonderful nostalgia trip. I highly recommend it.

SRAs ends when the author graduates high school. He has since announced a sequel that picks up where SRAs leaves off.

Castle.jpg.1bae96cf52856c663d6128e7e9250480.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0316419435/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_1sUDCb72C96KB

I know this thread is pretty old, but I just finished this book.  I agree with you, StormSurge:  highly recommended. 

I listened mostly on our many trips to/from Seattle in the last month.  Even my wife enjoyed it.  Not a lot of gaming stuff, but still absolutely great to listen to and remember.  There's not much plot here.  It kind of reminded me of a 70's episode of "Seinfeld".  It's about nothing, yet it's really fun and entertaining.