Squad Challenge - Tron Deadly Discs (Intellivision)

Justin

awc_text_hss_squad_challenge.gif

Tron Deadly Discs
Intellivision
Controller: CONTROLLER / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: Default (Press Directional Disc Button To Play Fastest Speed)
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / MAME / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST September 30th, 2019

OBJECTIVE: Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between September 15th through September 30th, 2019. Screen captures are not allowed as they are easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

ELIGIBILITY: Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

PLAY RULES: Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following rules and game settings as delineated in the Squad Challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

DIFFICULTY LEVEL: Default. Press Directional Disc to Play. This will play the game at the fastest speed. Speed will remain the same throughout the game but challenge will increase gradually as you play through the levels of the game.

FAIR PLAY: Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that no use of cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, Photoshop, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage is allowed. Everybody hates a cheater.

MORE: To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

MESSAGE: Welcome to our 69th Squad Challenge! Here's one for the Intellivision fanatics! We're breaking out the Intellivision and having fun with one of their most fun games, Tron Deadly Discs! Did you know there is a new TRON "Lightcycle Power Run" Roller Coaster going into Tomorrowland at the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World in Florida? ROM and Instruction Manual are provided below. Good luck to everyone playing!

NOTE: Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Be there!

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

TRON Deadly Discs.intTRON Deadly Discs.pdf

19 hours ago, RickR said:

1200 first try.  I'm doing emulation on my computer, and the controls are really iffy.  You can't move and shoot at the same time.  Must stop to shoot.  Is it the same on real hardware?

tron 002.JPG

Unles you use 2 controllers, 1 controller to move and 1 controller to shoot it is the same on real hardware. 

Don't just watch TV, PLAY IT!

14 hours ago, RickR said:

I do want to make one complaint.  The control on this game isn't my favorite.  They should have made one of the side buttons fire so it controlled more like Berzerk.  As it is, it feels clumsy to me.  Maybe it gets better if you play more. 

You kind of get used to it after a bit. If you think about the controls that's when ya start having issues.

:pole_position_blimp_big: Congratulations Atari Creep!

Congratulations everybody on your high scores @Atari Creep and @RickR! Why do you think participation was low for this game? Was it because it was an Intellivision Squad Challenge, or because there wasn't a lot of interest in Tron Deadly Discs? Does emulation for Intellivision prove problematic? Let us know so we can make High Score Squad even better! Atari Creep posted a score of 13,250, which I had the pleasure of watching him achieve LIVE on Instagram last week. Very cool to see you guys live-streaming these events! Rick R gave it his all and posted a solid score of 5,950. Congrats to both of you for taking up a tricky Intellivision challenge! I'd like to encourage @Atari Creep to post his new high score on the Scoreboard, and maybe this Challenge can continue on!

Our next High Score Squad Challenge will be posted today for the NES!

TRON DEADLY DISCS FINAL STANDINGS

1   ATARI CREEP                        13,250

2   RICKR                                       5,950

atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

My opinion only (I speak only for myself):

- September is a super busy time for me.  Work and personal.  Back-to-school time, for example.  It was really difficult to find time to play.  Maybe we should do month-long challenges in Sept.  

- Emulation works fine, but this particular game has such strange controls that it's awkward to play.  I should have tried a real console, but bullet point #1 stopped me.  I wonder if the "Intellivision Lives" version would have been better?

- I'd like to hear from those that normally do participate.  They probably have better insight than me.

We should try this game again.  Maybe the 2600 version and the Intellivision version at the same time (like how you did Devil's Crush on TG-16 and Genesis).  

1 minute ago, RickR said:

My opinion only (I speak only for myself):

- September is a super busy time for me.  Work and personal.  Back-to-school time, for example.  It was really difficult to find time to play.  Maybe we should do month-long challenges in Sept.  

- Emulation works fine, but this particular game has such strange controls that it's awkward to play.  I should have tried a real console, but bullet point #1 stopped me.  I wonder if the "Intellivision Lives" version would have been better?

- I'd like to hear from those that normally do participate.  They probably have better insight than me.

We should try this game again.  Maybe the 2600 version and the Intellivision version at the same time (like how you did Devil's Crush on TG-16 and Genesis).  

Great points! Thanks @RickR! This has been a busy time for me too, work and personal. Some seasons are stronger than others for High Score Squad, but I try to keep the music playing if you know what I mean.

I'm with @RickR on this about the timing. It was just a busy time. Hearing from them might help better. Only they can say for sure but I would guess it was due to it being Intellivision. Not as common in collections and emulating can be tricky. In my case I could only shoot up, down, left and right but I made due. I wouldn't let that alter anything though, we have had some great INTV turn outs in the past.

1 hour ago, Atari Creep said:

I'm with @RickR on this about the timing. It was just a busy time. Hearing from them might help better. Only they can say for sure but I would guess it was due to it being Intellivision. Not as common in collections and emulating can be tricky. In my case I could only shoot up, down, left and right but I made due. I wouldn't let that alter anything though, we have had some great INTV turn outs in the past.

Thanks Chris! Maybe it's just that time of year. We're trying to diversify things this year with more games for more video game systems. Sometimes we'll end up with something on Intellivision, Atari 5200, Atari ST, Jaguar, etc. where participation will be lower than something for Atari 2600, NES or Game Boy. I just don't want the forums to become boring for anyone.

2 hours ago, Justin said:

Thanks Chris! Maybe it's just that time of year. We're trying to diversify things this year with more games for more video game systems. Sometimes we'll end up with something on Intellivision, Atari 5200, Atari ST, Jaguar, etc. where participation will be lower than something for Atari 2600, NES or Game Boy. I just don't want the forums to become boring for anyone.

I feel ya bro. Keep it interesting. 31 flavors for a reason, ya know?