Any Beatles fans out there?

HDN

It changes. For a while it was Abbey Road. Such greatness. My wife and I often describe how important it was as their final recorded album, and how it's basically their thesis: it shows how they grew over the years and demonstrates all the styles they did: raw rock'n'roll ("Come Together," "Oh! Darlin'"), orchestral ("Something," "The End"), psychedelic to a degree (the use of the Moog on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and "Because"), etc.

For a time it was Magical Mystery Tour because...well, all the great songs on it..."The Fool on the Hill," "Blue Jay Way" (took me a long time to appreciate it!), "I Am The Walrus," "All You Need Is Love," "Strawberry Fields Forever"...

Currently it's Rubber Soul. When I first heard it -- the U.S. version, specifically -- I felt it was the most unusual sounding Beatles album. Still feel that way, actually. Nothing else sounds like it. It sounds so unlike the Beatles, yet it's also unquestionably The Beatles, know what I mean? So much brilliance. For the past couple of years I've been dealing with an internal struggle over whether I prefer the U.S. version or the U.K. version. On one hand, the U.S. version has an overall better flow, but on the other hand, the U.K. version has "Nowhere Man" and "If I Needed Someone." (And the dropping of "Nowhere Man" on the U.S. version breaks the continuity of the "Ooooooh la la la" backing vocals it shares with "You Won't See Me.") I've actually played with trying to put together my own Rubber Soul lineup that incorporates some of the U.S. lineup, some of the U.K. lineup, and "Day Tripper." But I haven't perfected it. (Yet?)

Supernatural, perhaps...baloney, perhaps not.

3 minutes ago, dauber said:

For the past couple of years I've been dealing with an internal struggle over whether I prefer the U.S. version or the U.K. version.

Rubber Soul is their only album where it's debatable. If I remember correctly, it had some songs on it from Help?

22 minutes ago, HDN said:

Rubber Soul is their only album where it's debatable. If I remember correctly, it had some songs on it from Help?

Yep.

Both versions have "Wait," which was recorded during the Help! sessions. I think if anything, they overdubbed percussion for Rubber Soul to get it to sound like the other songs on the album.

The U.S. version has "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love," both from the U.K. Help! album.

Well, not for nothin', historically, SPLHCB was a seriously mind-blowing album. (Then again, it was The Beatles' answer to Pet Sounds; which in turn was Brian Wilson's answer to [the US version of] Rubber Soul...) There's a lot of game-changing stuff on there, both musically and technologically.

8 hours ago, dauber said:

Well, not for nothin', historically, SPLHCB was a seriously mind-blowing album. (Then again, it was The Beatles' answer to Pet Sounds; which in turn was Brian Wilson's answer to [the US version of] Rubber Soul...) There's a lot of game-changing stuff on there, both musically and technologically.

I can't deny the historical and cultural significance of Sgt. Pepper's, but I don't think it's their best work like so many others do. Revolver is a better album in my humble opinion.

Edited by HDN