Mars / Perseverance Rover

- Ω -

We ended up getting a still from the 'copter looking at its shadow all groundhog like and what I considered poor video from the rover itself looking back at it. With as smooth as the video was on the decent from both craft, I don't understand how that isn't possible from the rover all the time?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

18 minutes ago, CrossBow said:

We ended up getting a still from the 'copter looking at its shadow all groundhog like and what I considered poor video from the rover itself looking back at it. With as smooth as the video was on the decent from both craft, I don't understand how that isn't possible from the rover all the time?

I dunno, I GUESSING it might be due to the amount of data involved to send a signal that far.  However, here is the video!

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

That video is MUCH better than what was being shown before where you basically saw the rotors begin to spin up and then suddenly it is already at full altitude and then appears to stop motion to the left right a little and then suddenly it is on the ground. So janky and I was surprised by that. This one however, looks more like I expected the first time around.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

That last video is so stunning and sharp I keep expecting something "alive" to suddenly appear in view. Crazy. 

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Sorry, I had to remove the video.  The imagery was taken by NASA, paid for by the U.S. taxpayer and was therefore in the public domain, but some guy thought it was too close to his, so he made a copyright claim.  I fail to understand how someone can make a claim for something they don't own, but I don't need the hassle.  

Edited by - Ω -

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

What I noticed the most in that video, is how spongelike all the rocks appearance is? Obvious signs of lots and lots of wind erosion over millions of years. Most of the rocks even still have that fresh sand blasted look to them. They aren't as smooth polished as I would have expected from water erosion, although they do have the banding behind the rocks that you sometimes see from water flows in old river beds.

Incredible detail!

Copy/paste from the internet.  I found it interesting to get an idea about the size of the Mars drone "Ingenuity":

This is Bob Balaram, a key honcho at JPL’s robotics section, holding a life sized model of Ingenuity. The entire contraption weighs about four pounds here on Earth, so around a pound and a half on Mars. The two carbon fiber rotors are four feet long from tip to tip, and maybe 8-9 inches wide at their broadest point, yet they weigh less than 2 ounces—about as much as a chicken egg.
Had JPL tried to concoct a smaller helicopter, it would have never gotten off the ground. It had to have those broad, low mass “paddles” to generate the lift required in the almost nonexistent Martian atmosphere (1% of ours). That, combined with 2,400 rpm rotor speed and the extreme light weight was just what the doctor ordered.

mars flying drone.jpg