Voyager's 1 & 2 - That's far out man! ;)

- Ω -

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

Oh no doubt! And after one of them finally falls into the 'black hole', we can look forward to the triumphant return of V'GER!

Can we talk for a minute about V'GER?  An advanced civilization of robots builds a ship for V'GER, but is too stupid to wipe the grime off the nameplate to reveal the full name?  Or listen to the golden record? 

Captain Kirk literally wipes his fingers on the nameplate to reveal the name of the probe! 

1 hour ago, CrossBow said:

Oh no doubt! And after one of them finally falls into the 'black hole', we can look forward to the triumphant return of V'GER!

Yes, but if I remember correctly, in Star Trek the motion picture that was the fictional "Voyager 6".

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

What about the fact that at the end of the moive V'GER is able to merge with the creator and downloads all of his data. So...uh...were we listening and grabbing that data when it happened? Did we glean anything useful from that massive dump V'GER took?

I want to know the rest of the story here because we can assume that the data was somehow received and studied right?

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

54 minutes ago, RickR said:

Can we talk for a minute about V'GER?  An advanced civilization of robots builds a ship for V'GER, but is too stupid to wipe the grime off the nameplate to reveal the full name?  Or listen to the golden record? 

Captain Kirk literally wipes his fingers on the nameplate to reveal the name of the probe! 

Actually I've thought about that and this makes sense. To listen to the record or wipe off the nameplate is technically an analog function here. And a race of advance machines would be all digital with no analog. So they likely didn't know to wipe off the nameplate because they wouldn't have known it wasn't that way to begin with. And it likely was that way to begin with given the rest of the immaculate condition of the rest of the massive ship, you can be certain that they left V'GER the way it was found.

But I'm also certain that if they could communicate with it enough to know what its basic function was "Learn all that is learnable, return that information back to the creator..." they would have figured out its name was in fact Voyager as the logic in the craft would have retained that information with the correct name.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, RickR said:

Wow, Voyager 1 is 14 BILLION miles from Earth.  Incredible. 

*SPITS OUT DRINK* What? I didn't think it was going that fast. Well, I suppose it's been a while.

Voyager 1 was launched in the early seventies, right? Do we still have "contact" with it today?

47 minutes ago, HDN said:

*SPITS OUT DRINK* What? I didn't think it was going that fast. Well, I suppose it's been a while.

Voyager 1 was launched in the early seventies, right? Do we still have "contact" with it today?

Late 70's, and yes, they are still returning data to Earth.  That link that omega provided shows the instruments that are still operating on the probes.  They used a plutonium power source. 

2 hours ago, HDN said:

Yes, but it's only due to the fact that we've added many more receiving dishes to the deep space network.  I believe the downlink signal is now measured in the trillionth of a watt range.  The RTG I believe is only expected to last until 2025 or so, hopefully just for nostalgia sake it lasts a little longer.  Science-wise there is not much else they can give us.  In the end, those two golden records may be the only evidence that humans ever existed.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>