Atari Recharged Series

Sabertooth

I'm a huge fan of Atari's new "Recharged" series of games. Following onto last year's Missile Command: Recharged, which was released on mobile, Steam, Switch and VCS, the more recent entries expand the concept for consoles and include an Arcade Mode, Challenges Mode, achievements and co-op. Games so far are single life, high-score chasing affairs and pretty difficult.

Each of the of the games feature power-ups, updated graphics and music by composer Megan McDuffee. Despite the upgrades, the core game play is largely intact.

The first games are out now and available everywhere, appearing on VCS, Switch, XBOX One/S/X, PS4/5, Steam and Epic.  This includes Centipede, Black Widow and Asteroids. Breakout Recharged is due out in Q1.

For VCS owners, there are 10 exclusive bonus challenges and alternate controller options. 

Have you played any games in the Recharged series? If so, what are your thoughts on the games so far?

1058882897_40-ExponentialGrowthScreen2.jpg.f19354d3a841c836f4d5432e6d919fa0.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

One of the things I've really liked about the Recharged series is the key art for each game.  ATARI just revealed the art for Breakout.

It's cool that it's a throw back to the original jailbreak theme.  I can't help but think of Don Knotts in that ridiculous commercial.

I'd love to see a poster set from this series!

20211224_071556.jpg

centipede-gamebox-atari-web.png

QnaugMg30jFYRWizdX4Cx4k0.png

EGS_MissileCommandRecharged_NickervisionStudios_S6-1200x1600-13dce142b015db18d28b54c6d1515f6c.jpg

Asteroids-Recharged_2021_11-23-21_007.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

Breakout Recharged launched yesterday on basically every modern platform, including the VCS, Switch, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, PS5, Epic and Steam.

As with all Recharged games, the VCS version has multiple controller options and exclusive bonus Challenges.

After a sleepless night and significantly more time with the game, here are first impressions:

- The power-ups are cool and useful.

- The offensive bricks adds something new.

- The music is great.

- The Challenges seem more varied and, well, challenging.

- Levels play like the Progressive game mode of Super Breakout

- Finally, the addition of "Classic" and "Classic Recharged" modes are great additions for players that want more than a single life challenge

On the VCS, the rotary/paddle function works OK. It's responsive but doesn't seem quite tuned for a wide-screen aspect ratio. Getting across the screen takes more than a full rotation which feels awkward. It should be 1/2 or 3/4 rotation from one side to the other. Would be perfect in 4:3. A sensitivity adjustment like in VCS Vault or Thrustlander could help a lot.  It's still my preferred way to play.

Overall the game is super fun. All of the established hallmarks of the Recharged series are here but Atari seems to have perfected the formula. It may be the best Recharged game so far. It may be the best Breakout game too.

Has anyone else given this one a shot on VCS or any other platform?

1772330679_20220211_0527282.jpg.2e7efc7fb89abadb8eec1b511efffe21.jpg

Edited by Sabertooth

Atari's Recharged series producer teased a big announcement coming Thursday morning and the return of lead dev Adamvision to the Atari Podcast. This comes via the Official Atari Discord server.  

I'm guessing that they are getting ready to reveal at least the first of the next four titles... possibly all four.  As a fan of the series, I'm hopeful that the next games will build on the successful formula of the earlier games and the lessons learned.

Screenshot_20220419-200523_Discord.jpg

From Atari (via Discord):

**MISSILE COMMAND: RECHARGED - OUT NOVEMBER 1st** 

Next in the popular line of remakes from Atari and SneakyBox comes Missile Command: Recharged! This remake takes what the original and the first remake from a year and a half ago brought to players, and gives it a much needed face-lift, as well as many features that were either missing, heavily requested or later implemented in the remakes to follow! 

You're earth's last defense against an oncoming rain of death from the sky! Mount your cannons and open fire upon the attackers, while making sure to protect your cities! Once the last city falls, you're done for! Obtain power-ups, adjust your aim, and invite a friend to join you - do everything you can to keep the enemy away! 

How long can you survive the onslaught? 

Watch the first trailer here:

The all-new Missile Command Recharged got a surprise drop on the VCS yesterday. It will be launched everywhere else on November 1.

Early impressions are that it is vastly superior to the original 2020 game, which was designed as a free-to-play mobile game. I love the graphics, music, missions mode, etc. It's great to see this iconic IP get the full "Recharged" treatment.