James Webb Telescope

- Ω -

I hadn't really been following this until recently as I honestly was in the camp that it would never actually happen. I'm glad to see it launched without issue. But why wait so long for all the other parts to deploy?! Streatching it out over days and in fact nearly a month out. It would pretty much suck if there is a problem with those final deployments and the thing is already past Luna! Wouldn't exactly be easy or cheapish to send up a crew for repairs at that point. 

So why not deploy all the bits now to make sure when it is still more reachable closer to Earth?

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

2 hours ago, CrossBow said:

It would pretty much suck if there is a problem with those final deployments and the thing is already past Luna! Wouldn't exactly be easy or cheapish to send up a crew for repairs at that point. 

So why not deploy all the bits now to make sure when it is still more reachable closer to Earth?

I don't think that thing was ever expected to be worked on like the hubble.  Not only is it too far away, it's fragile as all get out.  It's my hope that things works out, but there are quite literally over a hundred things that have go perfectly in order as it's deployed.  🤞

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Here is something else I've always wondered...

micro meteorite impacts? I mean it looks super fragile as you said and we know how often the ISS has been hit with a few things here and there. I'm surprised Hubble hasn't sustained more damage over its long lifespan than it has!

But I just picture that entire sun shield umbrella looking like swiss cheese in just a few years time to say nothing of the exposed mirrors.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

8 hours ago, RickR said:

Sure it can take the shake, rattle and roll of launch (when it's all closed up), it's designed to withstand radiation and micro-meteorite (grain of sand sized) strikes and theoretically could be refueled.   BUT, working on that thing would be next to impossible.  What are you going to hold on to?  Leverage is important when working in a zero gravity type environment, the amount of force it takes to loosen something is directly applied to whatever you are holding on to otherwise the Astronaut will be the one spinning.  I hope they are correct about the rarity of larger objects, because one fist sized rock travelling at a decent speed would easily rip through all those thin thermal layers and effectively blind the telescope.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

12 hours ago, - Ω - said:

Sure it can take the shake, rattle and roll of launch (when it's all closed up), it's designed to withstand radiation and micro-meteorite (grain of sand sized) strikes and theoretically could be refueled.   BUT, working on that thing would be next to impossible.  What are you going to hold on to?  Leverage is important when working in a zero gravity type environment, the amount of force it takes to loosen something is directly applied to whatever you are holding on to otherwise the Astronaut will be the one spinning.  I hope they are correct about the rarity of larger objects, because one fist sized rock travelling at a decent speed would easily rip through all those thin thermal layers and effectively blind the telescope.

Or hit it with enough force to take it out of its L2 orbit and end up crashing into the moon or going out further into space. If lucky, it would only knock it sideways a bit that they could get it back into orbital alignment, but it doesn't have a ton of fuel on board either as we discussed. Interesting it is designed to take some hits and good forward thinking. Time will tell...

1 hour ago, RickR said:

News alert:  We don't have space shuttles anymore.  There is no option to repair anything in orbit other than the space station. 

What exactly would you ask the design engineers to design for as far as repair missions?  Add a dock?   

If you paid Elon Musk and SpaceX enough I bet he could come up with something.  😉 

<<< My YouTube Page >>>