"Full Void", The First Evercade Single Game Indie Cart Available 10/31/23

RickR

Played through this one yesterday - I'm not a professional writer by any stretch, but I enjoyed this game enough that I wanted to say more than my usual "loved this!" feedback 🙂.  Here goes!

In spite of the glowing reviews from other folk within my Evercade circle, I initially slept on Full Void. What a mistake; this was such a fun little experience which scratched my itch for a short-but-well-done playthrough. The core gameplay harkens back to the early days of home computer platform adventures, but it’s so much more than that. 

Going all-in on the nostalgia experience, I read the included prologue comic and instruction booklets prior to playing, which helped set the ambience before even firing it up (as such, I highly recommend doing this).  There’s so much good to say about this title.  The instruction booklet made comment that all the pixel art was done by hand, and I could tell – everything from the character animations to the quick cutscenes to the detailed backgrounds were well done and a pleasure to look at.  Even the environment’s dynamic lighting would slightly alter the protagonist’s color outline.  The sound effects were both minimal and yet totally on point; combined with the light background music (often no music at all), the developers nailed the feeling of desolation and loneliness.  With the exception of the booklets prior to playing, the entire title was without text and without any voicing.  In regard to the gameplay, the pace was on point and I didn’t run into any situations where the character control was sloppy.  My first playthrough took approximately two hours, with eight out of 11 achievements completed (looks like online walkthroughs do it in about an hour).  While there was one point I had to look up assistance, the remainder of the game did not require any esoteric or obtuse solutions.

This is easily a game I can see myself coming back and playing again in the future. It’s short, tells a story, and sets a mood all to itself. It’s available on many platforms, and it’s a stand-out title on the Evercade.

2 minutes ago, Smell Dawg said:

Played through this one yesterday - I'm not a professional writer by any stretch, but I enjoyed this game enough that I wanted to say more than my usual "loved this!" feedback 🙂.  Here goes!

In spite of the glowing reviews from other folk within my Evercade circle, I initially slept on Full Void. What a mistake; this was such a fun little experience which scratched my itch for a short-but-well-done playthrough. The core gameplay harkens back to the early days of home computer platform adventures, but it’s so much more than that. 

Going all-in on the nostalgia experience, I read the included prologue comic and instruction booklets prior to playing, which helped set the ambience before even firing it up (as such, I highly recommend doing this).  There’s so much good to say about this title.  The instruction booklet made comment that all the pixel art was done by hand, and I could tell – everything from the character animations to the quick cutscenes to the detailed backgrounds were well done and a pleasure to look at.  Even the environment’s dynamic lighting would slightly alter the protagonist’s color outline.  The sound effects were both minimal and yet totally on point; combined with the light background music (often no music at all), the developers nailed the feeling of desolation and loneliness.  With the exception of the booklets prior to playing, the entire title was without text and without any voicing.  In regard to the gameplay, the pace was on point and I didn’t run into any situations where the character control was sloppy.  My first playthrough took approximately two hours, with eight out of 11 achievements completed (looks like online walkthroughs do it in about an hour).  While there was one point I had to look up assistance, the remainder of the game did not require any esoteric or obtuse solutions.

This is easily a game I can see myself coming back and playing again in the future. It’s short, tells a story, and sets a mood all to itself. It’s available on many platforms, and it’s a stand-out title on the Evercade.

This is great feedback.  I didn't have this one on my radar at all.  But it sounds like I should.  Sounds like the kind of game I'd really enjoy.  Thanks.