Atari Lynx (1989) Library | Trying all 71

MaximumRD

Well, not me personally trying all the games but I came across this recent video I found interesting. As touched on in my GameBoy thread I was never much of a handheld gamer especially back in the day, mostly consoles and AMIGA computers. Still, of course, I followed everything, if I didn't see it in person I read about it in gaming magazine articles. I don't recall ever personally holding or using any version of the Atari Lynx, it certainly seemed interesting especially compared to other options. I did not know anyone who ever owned one back then either. Over the years I dabbled a tiny bit in emulation of course, watched many videos, and read many articles. It's still somewhat of an oddity to me so this video was of great interest to me, looks like it had some great tiles for sure. I am certainly no authority on the Lynx but I know some love it and some here own and actively collect for it. I do look forward to emulating it more in future since I am not really actively collecting anymore I don't think it's something I want to get into at this point BUT THAT SAID happy to read anyone's own history, opinions, experiences, recommendations etc. regarding the Lynx. 🤷‍♂️😎😁

Edited by MaximumRD

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

OK, just finished watching the video.  It was nicely done and it covers all the titles fairly quickly but with enough about each one to get a sense of the games. 

I've had a Lynx since the model 2 was launched.  I bought it in KayBee Toys.  Remember them?!  I still have the original box and I think it even has the price tag on it.  I decided to get as many games as I could for it.  My cousins had a GameBoy and they envied the color screen on my Lynx.  Over the years I managed to get all the official release games for the Lynx and I've also collected many of the homebrews.  The one release I'm missing is P.I.T.S. Driving School which was used in Germany for teaching people how to drive. 

I have to Lynx units, both model 2.  I've never used a model 1 but I've seen it at conventions.  I did upgrade the screen one of my units to a modern LCD and it gave the system a new life.  It is night and day when compared to the original screen.  The only games that doesn't look as good, or at least its title screen, is the homebrew Alpine Games because that was one programmed to take advantage of the limitations of the original LCD screen when it was displayed.  It doesn't look as nice with a modern screen.  The game itself, however, looks great. 

I have several cases for the Lynx and for the games, both official and unofficial.  I also have prototype games and early homebrew releases that were made using PCB cards with no labels.  I decided to create labels for all those titles.  If you want to see the, just check out this thread at RVG:  TrekMD's Collection.  The Lynx is on Page 1 of the thread, below all the 2600 stuff. 

Now, one thing I've never been able to do is use the Lynx with the ComLynx cable!  I'd love to try out Gauntlet with more players! 

Well, @MaximumRD, hope that gives you a bit of sense about my experience with the Lynx.  🙂

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

10 hours ago, TrekMD said:

OK, just finished watching the video.  It was nicely done and it covers all the titles fairly quickly but with enough about each one to get a sense of the games. 

I've had a Lynx since the model 2 was launched.  I bought it in KayBee Toys.  Remember them?!  I still have the original box and I think it even has the price tag on it.  I decided to get as many games as I could for it.  My cousins had a GameBoy and they envied the color screen on my Lynx.  Over the years I managed to get all the official release games for the Lynx and I've also collected many of the homebrews.  The one release I'm missing is P.I.T.S. Driving School which was used in Germany for teaching people how to drive. 

I have to Lynx units, both model 2.  I've never used a model 1 but I've seen it at conventions.  I did upgrade the screen one of my units to a modern LCD and it gave the system a new life.  It is night and day when compared to the original screen.  The only games that doesn't look as good, or at least its title screen, is the homebrew Alpine Games because that was one programmed to take advantage of the limitations of the original LCD screen when it was displayed.  It doesn't look as nice with a modern screen.  The game itself, however, looks great. 

I have several cases for the Lynx and for the games, both official and unofficial.  I also have prototype games and early homebrew releases that were made using PCB cards with no labels.  I decided to create labels for all those titles.  If you want to see the, just check out this thread at RVG:  TrekMD's Collection.  The Lynx is on Page 1 of the thread, below all the 2600 stuff. 

Now, one thing I've never been able to do is use the Lynx with the ComLynx cable!  I'd love to try out Gauntlet with more players! 

Well, @MaximumRD, hope that gives you a bit of sense about my experience with the Lynx.  🙂

Thanks for that, great reply, I even had a saved login for RVG ! 👍

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I remember seeing the original Lynx model and the Game Gear back in the day. I had a Game Boy, and I preferred the GB over the Lynx and GG mainly because of the smaller physical size and portability and battery life of the GB compared to the competition. I was never bothered by the b/w nature of the GB.

Couple of years ago(?) I bought a Lynx model 2 with the upgraded screen. I bought it to take part in the I/O high score challenge, but I don’t think I was able. I currently have a small collection of two dozen games. Most are official releases, and I have 3 or 4 homebrews. I also have the Game Drive.

A month or so ago, my Analogue Pocket finally arrived. I also ordered the Lynx cartridge adapter, and that should arrive soon. I think I will end up playing Lynx games on the Pocket given the smaller size of the handheld.

I’ve always been enamored with the idea of handheld gaming and have bought several devices over the years. However, I never spent much time with any of them (PSP, Vita, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS, Lynx). The Steam Deck is probably the handheld that I’ve spent the most time playing.