Pong repair

MalakZero

Howdy folks, I'm happy to announce that I am now in the Pong owners club 🙂 I found this little guy for $10 at a yard sale, guy said "it worked when I put it in the attic."

Needless to say, it kinda didn't. I managed to fix the paddle jitter with some alcohol and electrical tape, but I'm not sure where to start with fixing this colour issue. Is there a faulty part or could it just be from battery acid corrosion? I'm cracking the unit open this weekend. Any insight is always appreciated! PONG.jpg.0ec5b103a560b48f242a2c4b23a9f5f5.jpg

Edited by MalakZero

"Mmmrrrrrrhhhh.....game.....gooooood....."

4 hours ago, MalakZero said:

Howdy folks, I'm happy to announce that I am now in the Pong owners club 🙂 I found this little guy for $10 at a yard sale, guy said "it worked when I put it in the attic."

Needless to say, it kinda didn't. I managed to fix the paddle jitter with some alcohol and electrical tape, but I'm not sure where to start with fixing this colour issue. Is there a faulty part or could it just be from battery acid corrosion? I'm cracking the unit open this weekend. Any insight is always appreciated! PONG.jpg.0ec5b103a560b48f242a2c4b23a9f5f5.jpg

The super pong units look like that normally? They have the different colors on different sides of the screen like you are showing.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

17 hours ago, OniDensetsu said:

Try a different Tv like a Crt if possible. They do have weird colors like that but maybe that TV is not liking the signal much.

I concur on this. I was looking online at other picstures of the super pong output and it appears that on CRTs it isn't nearly as saturated and blown out on the colors as what is shown above. That said, I did find another picture of the output on an LCD and it was similar to what the OP is getting. So my guess on this is that at least through RF, the signal for the colors is just going overboard on a modern display. Possible this might clear up and look closer to what you get on a CRT if you run it through a VCR and then use the composite output on the VCR to the TV or perhaps get the pong unit composite upgraded. Although that isn't something I'm versed in but I know it can be done.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections