The History of the Atari Lynx & its Games

TrekMD

Coolness. 😄 I never had the Lynx, but I remember seeing it in a Boy's Life Magazine, and thought it was really neat looking. Leagues ahead of the Game Gear and Gameboy. I wanted a Game Gear for Sonic, I was Sonic crazy.

I did not get any handheld machine until 1996 besides the LCD Calculator types. 😅

A shame Jack's usual antics screwed over Epyx, and ultimately the Lynx. The hardware is very great. Funny enough the commercial with the boy playing the Lynx in school. I would play my Gameboy in the back of Science class in 1997. 😛 Never in the bathroom though. That was a place where you did not want to hang around too long. 😄

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

19 hours ago, TrekMD said:

I got my Lynx II when it was released.  I slowly, but surely, got a complete library of games for it.  I'm only missing P.I.T.S., which is very hard to find nowadays.  The system was better than the GameBoy by leaps and bounds but Atari did not do things right. 

I got my Lynx II about a month after discussing the hand held with you at PRGE 2017. While on my way to visit family in Long Island, NY, I decided to stop by a local video game store. I had never been there and thought, why not. They just happened to have a boxed Lynx II. I tried it out and we agreed on a price for the Lynx and Ms. Pac-Man. Since then, I’ve picked up a 2nd Lynx II and both have been modded (McWill LCD screen). One of them also has VGA output. I have 31 games, mostly homebrew, in my collection and hoping to add Impossible Mission soon. 

IMG_4432.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

Edited by sramirez2008

I had the OG Game Boy back in the day. I was aware of the releases of the Lynx and Game Gear back then, but I decided to stay with the GB for two reasons -- physical size and the amount of batteries consumed. AA batteries weren't cheap back then and I don't recall rechargeable AA readily available as they are now and the Lynx and GG were power hungry. I was fine with not having a backlit screen and the graphics beings what they were on the GB. The near pocket-ability of the GB was what won me over -- that and Tetris and Tennis.

I acquired a Lynx II with the upgraded screen a few years ago. It's staring at me right now across my desk, but unfortunately, I haven't given it the attention it deserves.

4 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

I got my Lynx II about a month after discussing the hand held with you at PRGE 2017. While on my way to visit family in Long Island, NY, I decided to stop by a local video game store. I had never been there and thought, why not. They just happened to have a boxed Lynx II. I tried it out and we agreed on a price for the Lynx and Ms. Pac-Man. Since then, I’ve picked up a 2nd Lynx II and both have been modded (McWill LCD screen). One of them also has VGA output. I have 31 games, mostly homebrew, in my collection and hoping to add Impossible Mission soon. 

IMG_4432.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

Had you told me that before?  I don't remember you telling me this story before.  It's cool, though.  🙂

1 hour ago, socrates63 said:

What are some must have Lynx homebrews, Steve?

There are several excellent titles:  Alpine Games, Championship Rally, Crystal Mines II: Buried Treasure, Sky Raider Redux, T-tris, and Vikings Saga all come to mind for me.  It all depends on the type of games you like. 

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

15 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Had you told me that before?  I don't remember you telling me this story before.  It's cool, though.  🙂

Yep. I blame you. Its also purchased my first (4-port) 5200 after we talked about that console at the Classic Game Fest in Austin (2014 IIRC). We were looking at the 5200s that Al had set up. One was running Tempest, which caught my eye. Its all your fault.😉

Edited by sramirez2008

6 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Yep. I blame you. Its also purchased my first (4-port) 5200 after we talked about that console at the Classic Game Fest in Austin (2014 IIRC). We were looking at the 5200s that Al had set up. One was running Tempest, which caught my eye. Its all your fault.😉

Yep, I'm a really bad influence!  😆

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...