Virtuality was the world leader in VR at one point -

MaximumRD

"The 1000 series, which featured the iconic bulky headset, was essentially an Amiga 3000 with our own proprietary cards based on a Texas Instruments chipset," Don McIntyre told this writer in a Eurogamer interview a few years ago."

Back in the 90's though AMIGA didn't have the same success with home users as in the UK the chipset and capabilities were still far ahead of it's  time, so much so it was used everywhere from small broadcast cable channels with a Video Toaster allowing high end video effects and broadcast capabilities to animation studios at DISNEY and even as computational devices for NASA. Here is a great article that shows how it even helped usher in the push towards VR tech back in the 90's. An awesome article about pioneering VR tech in the early 90's. 

CLICK HERE FOR A GREAT ARTICLE INCLUDING IMAGES AND VIDEOS -

https://www.timeextension.com/features/virtuality-gave-us-90s-vr-now-its-legacy-is-being-celebrated-in-its-home-city-of-leicester

virtuality-gave-us-vr-in-the-1990s-and-i

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

Great article, never knew these were running Amigas. 😛

My son got a Meta Quest from my brother for Christmas and I was just telling him about how VR was, 'back in my day'. haha. I have not tried the new Meta Quests, kind of a waste on me being mostly blind, but he has fun with it.

I got to play one of the Virtuality units back in about...1994/1995 at Dorney Park. It was like $X for 15 mins. It was some DOOM-like deathmatch game, but have never been able to figure out what it was called.

You ran around in a 4DOF FPS engine, no look up or down, just left and right, and stood in a little pen with two wired controls in your hands. I thought it was super cool.

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021

14 hours ago, Justin said:

I got to work with these guys a long long time ago. At one point I had a bunch of Virtuality headsets in my house that we had tinkered with. These all got disassembled.

IMG_6100.jpeg

😲Wow amazing!

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

22 hours ago, Justin said:

I got to work with these guys a long long time ago. At one point I had a bunch of Virtuality headsets in my house that we had tinkered with. These all got disassembled.

IMG_6100.jpeg

Very cool Justin. 🙂 A shame they were all disassembled, but understandable. Did any of the stuff you worked on get publicly heralded? 🙂

Any idea what the sprite based FPS game I remember was? I mean it could maybe not be Virtuality, but I can't remember seeing any other companies that big at trade shows.

I know Tom Hall was working with some company on a Wolfenstein 3D VR port back then, but I remember the level having variable heights like DOOM or at least Rise of the Triad.

A shame the planned Virtuality stuff that was planned for the Jag was never released too. I would have been all over that, but we all know the story there. 😛

Edited by Jinroh

Free to download--> Carrot Kingdom™- :atari_2600: - Released 5/11/2021