Join the World of Atari!

Sign In or Create Your Atari I/O Account to join the party! Membership is always free! Gain full access to an amazing new retrogaming community with UNLIMITED member features, weekly high score championships, and prizes. Join other friendly retrogamers as we celebrate nostalgia & classic games, from Atari to Nintendo, Sega, TurboGrafx-16 and beyond!

Photo

Famicom Joust prototype discovered

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MaximumRD

MaximumRD

MST3K Fan

• 1,001 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:28 AM

Famicom Joust prototype discovered !

This could be the first code Satoru Iwata ever wrote for Nintendo
Gaming historian pieces together a puzzle found inside a few old bits of silicon.

http://www.polygon.c...te-for-nintendo

• Justin, The Professor, Video 61 and 2 others like this

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong.

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer
and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd
ON the FACEBOOK? Well have I got the Classic Gaming / Computing group for you!

;) https://www.facebook...ximumrdclassic/

#2 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

If there are Satoru Iwata Joust prototypes for the Famicom, they would have been quite early (Q1 or Q2 1983) and would have been one of the demos Nintendo made to show off the Famicom to Atari when they were in talks to license worldwide Famicom rights to Atari outside of Japan. Centipede was another.

I also can't help but think how insane it is that Atari engineers had their hands on a Nintendo d-pad controller before anything was written in stone with the 7800 and still chose to ship it with the Pro-Line joystick.

• The Professor, MaximumRD, Clint Thompson and 2 others like this

#3 Justin

Justin

The Shah of Atari

• Administrator
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

Apparently it was programmed in 1983 by Satoru Iwata as part of the Nintendo/Atari deal. More here from Frank Cifaldi's Twitter: https://twitter.com/...f_src=twsrc^tfw

Unknown-7.jpeg Unknown-8.jpeg Cp7gEchUAAA1BWD.jpg Unknown-9.jpeg

• The Professor, Video 61, MaximumRD and 3 others like this

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• 1,032 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

Neat find for Nintendo fans! It doesn't tell us anything new though, does it? I would be more excited if it was a lost prototype for an unpublished game. Or 7800 ElectroCop :)
  • Clint Thompson and Lost Dragon like this

#5 Clint Thompson

Clint Thompson

Apple Member

• 602 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:03 AM

If there are Satoru Iwata Joust prototypes for the Famicom, they would have been quite early (Q1 or Q2 1983) and would have been one of the demos Nintendo made to show off the Famicom to Atari when they were in talks to license worldwide Famicom rights to Atari outside of Japan. Centipede was another.

I also can't help but think how insane it is that Atari engineers had their hands on a Nintendo d-pad controller before anything was written in stone with the 7800 and still chose to ship it with the Pro-Line joystick.

Exactly! Then again, the D-Pad they did end up shipping wasn't exactly the best from what many have said but personally I enjoy it more.

• Lost Dragon likes this

2600 - 7800 - 800XL - 130XE - Lynx - Jaguar

cerka.weebly.com

#6 RickR

RickR

The Don

• 4,927 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Satoru Iwata died too soon.  Very sad.

It's a really cool find.  Nothing groundbreaking, just a slice of history.  Really cool that a game developer rose up to running the company.   

• Lost Dragon likes this

#7 Lost Dragon

Lost Dragon

Banana Member

• 2,942 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 01:38 PM

I'm with The Prof.on this one, whilst a rather lovely find as it were and not wishing to take anything away from that, it's not up there with say real A8 Star Raiders II or 7800 Toki etc being found and we are still waiting for someone to discover they actually have say 7800 Paperboy sat somewhere or inital coding on Lynx Cabal and of course 7800 Electrocop.

Still finds like this do prove there's still hope something will turn up 1 day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users