Which NINTENDO game is your favorite on the ATARI 7800?

Justin

Which NINTENDO game is your favorite on the ATARI 7800?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which NINTENDO game is your favorite on the ATARI 7800?

• 🦧 DONKEY KONG
    • 🦧 DONKEY KONG JR.
    • 🦀 MARIO BROS.

I chose DKJr because at the time, I did own both and felt that DKjr was more impressive to me. Still had crappy audio but I don't think it was quite as bad as it was on DK and it had all the levels from the arcade in it. Even the 7800 vs of DK is still missing the pie/cement factory level on it. 

Mario Bros. wasn't a game I was that interested in back in the day because I always associated it as mainly being a 2 player game. Joust is the same for me, but unlike Mario Bros. (Which I never owned for any system BITD), I did play 2600 Joust a bunch. I remember buying Joust for the 7800 but oddly, I didn't play it that much as I guess I quickly discovered that the older games I was getting burnt out on even though I thought I would enjoy them again when purchasing for the 7800. I remember Centipede, Ms. PacMan, and Joust all being games I bought and was excited for but ended up not really playing much. I preferred playing Double Dragon, Food Fight, F-18, Rampage, and Crossbow on the 7800 because they were all games I didn't have for the 2600 in the past.

DKjr also falls into this as I owned it for the 7800 but never bothered with the 2600 version back then.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

I have all three, but it’s DKJr for me too. I  actually received all three with my first 7800 console (purchased ~2009). I know the SFX can get annoying, but I’m used to them and like @CrossBow, I think DKJr’s aren’t that bad.

Great, now the tune is playing in my head. I’ll have to make some time and play it today. 🙂

I think of the three, Mario Bros. is the best one.  I'll be honest, though, I could care less of how the sound is on DK or DK Jr.  I love how the games looked and played!  Of course, now we have the absolutely excellent DK PK, which makes it the best ever port of DK for a retro console.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...

I replayed the original 7800 versions and made an observation about the music.  On an NTSC system it plays at a faster tempo than on a NES which makes it sound more ear piercing, even with the TIA's two channel limitation.  So I tried out the PAL versions on MAME and the music sounded much closer to the NES games.  Interesting...

BTW, those games were outsourced to a South Korean shop instead of being done by GCC so that explains why they were based on the Famicom versions.

I still prefer the Pokey hacks to make DK more tolerable but it still doesn't hold a candle to the Atari 8-bit or Coleco versions IMHO.

21 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Of course, now we have the absolutely excellent DK PK, which makes it the best ever port of DK for a retro console.

This is true. I also have DK Arcade by Opcode Games for the ColecoVision. DK PK is still the best and it whether it’s the PK or XM version, it’ll run on the 2600+ too.