Playing ColecoVision Games on the Sega Master System is REAL!

Justin

The “ColeCoco Master” is a new pass through cartridge for the Sega Master System that allows you to play ColecoVision games on your Master System. It’s $69 and works on standard, real hardware Sega Master Systems with original games. It seems to have an issue with a very bright color palette compared to what the ColecoVision had. John Hancock put out a video on this earlier today:

Okay... so I do own one of these and John didn't research this one as well as he should have. So let me point out a few more technical parts to help explain things.

The SMS has a VDP in it of nearly the same architecture as the the one in the CV however, Sega did NOT replicate the palette exactly in the VDP hardware on the SMS. As a result, what we are seeing with this adapter is the nearest match of the values programmed by the CV game and how it comes out on the SMS VDP. There isn't any software of hardware fix for this. It isn't something that can be compensated for because it is the way the hardware is inside the SMS itself.

This works by flipping on the SMS's internal SG-1000 compatibility mode. Strange enough, even in that mode to be compatible with SG-1000 games, the colors aren't correct there either but Sega apparently didn't care and figured it was good enough.

This adapter can't work in the Genesis or the GG with a master gear converter because both consoles do NOT have the SG-1000 compatible video modes programmed into them and were essentially made to be SMS only compatible. Some of the needed pins from the cartridge port on the Genesis aren't present either that would be needed for this to work. That is what was explained by the devs of this adapter.

That all said, I still find this to be a very impressive piece of hardware as it does basically play all of the original released CV games although with the altered colors in places. I provided direct captures from several games in the AA thread where this was all discussed to provide a better comparison with some of the games on an actual CV vs what is shown on the SMS through this adapter. 

I will also state that the devs have stated they didn't make this with the homebrew games in mind. So the fact that many homebrews don't work right isn't that surprising. It might be something they can improve on, but as I understand it, this cartridge adapter is NOT FW upgradable without sending the carts back to be FW upgraded. One interesting thing I did notice about playing games on this vs an actual CV. They play a little smoother through this adapter. Cosmic Avenger stood out because on my actual CV it scrolls with a bit of a studder at all times. This was NOT present on the adapter and it was very much smooth scrolling. The cartridge adapter does have its own internal z80 inside it but I'm not sure what function it plays. The adapter PCB is pretty well packed with several large ICs inside it.

I also seem to have a slightly better experience with mine and my hardware vs some of the others. As an example, my AtariMax has the same menu issues that John pointed out in his video and the BBPro is even worse. But, oddly enough I can load up games on my BBpro from a specific part of my roms and when I reset the BBPro, the menu suddenly shows up full and properly so I can easily navigate and select games? But it will revert back to being a graphical mess if I reset from that game to choose something else. NO idea why some games that I load up from a specific part of my cart will cause the menu to work while most don't but no one else with a BBPro has managed to replicate this with theirs and just have scrambled looking menu screens all the time. I also seem to have less games with graphical glitching as compared to some. I think the hardware has a lot to do with it as I have what I think is the first US release version of the SMS model 1. It only has the built in snail maze game and uses the leaf switches for the pause and reset. I think is it US BIOS 1.3? 

But with all the mods I've got in mine, I was more surprised at how well it actually does work.

Edited by CrossBow

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections