Atari 5200 Guy Posted May 3, 2016 Report Share Posted May 3, 2016 Hey Atari.IO Members! Well...I have to say that my 2600 adventures so far have been full of not-so-pleasant surprises. After replacing the four switches with shiny new ones, and replacing the difficulty switch that was broken, the system started showing that something else was wrong. I believe that StormSurge might want to read this because I discovered something interesting. After a few minutes of game play (Radar Lock, Solaris, Enduro were the games used) the system would create this rather weird color interference and then go black and white. Absolutely no color and a bit of static in the picture. Turning the system off and back on almost instantly would work for a while but this issue would come back. So I started with a few capacitors, the electrolytic type that act like a battery...look like them, too. Tested the system out. Now the time before the issue showed itself had shortened. It didn't take nearly as long as before. So I give a heavy sigh and do the only thing I know to do. I googled and downloaded a 2600 Field Service Manual. Even then my chances of actually finding what was wrong was slim. Using the manual's troubleshooting area it said to replace a bunch of capacitors and gave their numbers. I did those one at a time and only after testing would I move on to the next capacitor. I finally took a break from the machine and did something I should have done in the first place. The service manual has the schematic diagrams on how each component relates to the system. Knowing that something is keeping the color from working properly I finally decided to check the schematic for the color line leaving the TIA processor. I had already tried another TIA out of my Junior model and got the same effect so I knew it wasn't the TIA. On the schematic it shows a couple of capacitors placed in-line with the color signal to the RF modulator (the metal box on the lower-right corner of the board if you've ever seen the 2600's insides). There's a ceramic cap and fuse placed in-line, and another cap acting as an interference blocker, located right above the RF Modulator. The one cap acting as that blocker was noticed that one of it's pins connects to a ground. If the cap is failing there could be a short causing the color to fade out. So I replace this cap with one of a similar rating. So far it's been 3 hours and the system has not been going back to black and white if I don't use the TV Type switch. I'm not 100% certain yet but I may have finally fixed this system's issues. So not only does it have shiny new switches it also has a few new caps along with a new voltage regulator. I changed that, too, just in case the old one was not up to its old job any more. I kept all the old parts should I need them again because there may have been nothing wrong with them other than that last cap. I hope this console is fixed now...if not I will try again. For the record...fixing this console has actually been interesting to me so I am having fun fixing it and enjoying solving the problem it is having. Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.