Stranger Things "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street"

Justin

:mac_alert:  SPOILER WARNING: This is a discussion on the second episode of Stranger Things. It contains spoilers for the series through S1:E2. Do not read this page if you do not want to know what happens through the end of Chapter Two.

Stranger Things "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street"

"Her name is Eleven?"

Season 1, Episode 2   55m

Stranger_Things_Chapter_2_The_Weirdo_On_

Lucas, Mike, and Dustin try to talk to the girl they found in the woods. Hopper questions an anxious Joyce about an unsettling phone call.

Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Matthew Modine

TV Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Director: The Duffer Brothers

Soundtrack: Should I Stay or Should I Go (The Clash), I Melt With You (Modern English), Hazy Shade of Winter (The Bangles) Go Nowhere (Reagan Youth)

Unanswered Questions:

• What's the significance of the quarry?
  • Does Eleven know how to find Will Byers?

More E.T. memories in "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street". Mike showing off his TV, his Yoda, and his Dad’s La-Z-Boy to Eleven is a deliberate echo of Elliott introducing E.T. to his Greedo, his fish, and his Pez dispenser  :et_elliott_bicycle:

The Dark Crystal poster on Mike's bedroom wall was also a gem of a surprise. If you're unfamiliar with The Dark Crystal, the Retroist Podcast has a wonderful episode on it here: http://www.retroist.com/2010/05/28/retroist-podcast-episode-058-the-dark-crystal/

There were two Atari 2600 cartridges laying on top of Mike's family TV set when he was showing Eleven around his living room. (Pictured at top of page) I can't make out the game with the red text on the end label, but the yellow one is Adventure  :adventure:

This episode is mostly about Eleven, and about Joyce quickly falling apart after her phone call (Buckaroo Banzai anyone?)
Lucas assumes the bully role with Eleven, and as such quickly becomes my least favorite of the 4 buddies.  (He's the one that decides she should just be called weirdo.)
Johnathan shows his stalkery perv side, and what happened to Barb?   (Barb is another PERFECT casting job, btw)

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

I did not notice the Atari carts. That's cool!

I did notice the title is in homage to The Twilight Zone episode "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street". Kicking myself for not acknowledging Twilight Zone as an influence before.

Lonnie's car is SWEET. But it looks like an early 70's model...too old for this series.

Lucas plays the skeptic role, which I think adds some realism.

And can I say I love the cashier in the store (Joyce's boss), who basically just acts with his face. Little details like that work for me.

You are right about Barb, RD. Her being reluctantly dragged to the party, ending up being a 5th wheel, and the dilemma of trying to help her friend under those circumstances....so well done.

Not to mention I went to school with close to a dozen girls who fit her look perfectly.   Like you said, little details.

"For you - Rowsdower from the 70 - have been appointed Omnivisioner of the Game Grid."  ~ Atari Adventure Square

What were the names of those walkie talkies they use? Anyone ever had any?

Those were Realistic brand walkie talkies which were really popular around that time. Those were pretty expensive, I would have loved to have had a set of walkie talkies like that when I was a kid.

Realistic was an official brand of Radio Shack products. From the Retroist's article on All the 80s references in "Stranger Things Chapter One": "Before mobile phones and computers, all kids dreamed about chatting with their friends using Walkie Talkies. The kids in Stranger Things have Realistic brand Walkie Talkies with amazing range. If you wondered why Radio Shack used to be so popular, these Walkie Talkies are one of the reasons."

They're available on eBay here

The side of those walkie talkies reminds me of the front of the ColecoVision:

Mike-Walkie-1.r-670x335.jpg

What were the names of those walkie talkies they use? Anyone ever had any?

I had some gigantic ones growing up that were similar, but not like that. 

Walkie Talkies were a big deal to kids in the 70s.

Our friend Vic Sage from The Retroist has posted a breakdown of all the '80s references and influence from the 2nd episode of the Netflix series, Stranger Things "Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street". Great stuff.

http://www.geek.com/news/all-the-80s-references-in-stranger-things-chapter-two-the-weirdo-on-maple-street-1663522/

Lonnie's car is SWEET. But it looks like an early 70's model...too old for this series.

I think even back then that car was perceived as a "classic" muscle car, and with it being so perfect the inference being that Lonnie cares more about his car than he does his own family. I bet those cars in that condition weren't cheap, even in 1983. I wonder how much money Lonnie is sending Joyce every month? Wrong and selfish priorities. That's what I got out of it.

I think those cars were cheap in the 80's.  All my high school stoner friends had them!  GTO, Nova, LeMans, etc. 

Lonnie's was pristine though.  So you are probably right. But a brand spanking new Knight Rider Trans Am would have been even better!  B)  Or even a Bandit Trans Am.  With the chicken on the hood. 

Archived