New Jaguar Game - Custodian - by Piko Interactive

Clint Thompson

I was halfway expecting to see a picture of everyone's favorite pitchman Mike Kennedy holding a mop and bucket. Anyway, I hope that this game does well for them.

Yeah... while I applaud their efforts, it is very 16-bit'ish. *and now I know why, because it was originally for the Amiga/Atari ST. I don't even think this has updated graphics/sound - just basically an ST port of their own game? into Jaguar since the 68000 is there. Kind of Cyrano Jonesing it...   **looks like it's originally by Realms? and published by Hewson Consultants in 1989. Which begs the question, do they now own it or were they originally Realms?

Edited by Clint Thompson

7800 - 130XE - XEGS - Lynx - Jaguar - ISO: Atari Falcon030 | STBook |STe

According to the post at AA, they are porting the ST version but replacing the ST music with that of the Amiga. I wouldn't expect further tweaking. While it is a 16 bit game, I'm happy to see a new publisher working on the platform. Maybe if this is successful, we'll see more ambitious titles.

What I would really love to see is Killing Impact (Falcon) make it on the Jaguar but I know the code is most probably utilizing all the 68030 it can. Still would be a lovely Joust platformer..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDRtiAcqd-U

After learning just how cheap it is to make Jaguar carts as of recently (the price truly has plummeted) I feel there's no reason they actually needed to go the custom PCB route. Is it cool? Yes. Does it warrant the $75 price tag? Sorry, but never. Especially when you have Phase Zero demos made from B&C for $45 a pop and you know he's still making a profit from them. I mean no disrespect to them and kudos I guess for making a new game available for the Jaguar but it's not really a 'new' game in the sense that it's built from the ground up to take full advantage of the Jaguar's hardware.

Had it been a completely new game written from scratch specifically for the Jaguar then I could possibly see the justification for price but realistically, I doubt I would ever pay that much for a Jaguar game, let alone a game that I truly want.

Yep, this particular game may not have been their best choice as an entry for the Jaguar.  I wish they had created something new or, even, an updated version of the game that was improved and that took advantage of what the Jaguar can do.  Supposedly the game code has been written from the ground up and it is not just a straight port of the 16-bit game but I guess time will tell.

🖖 Going to the final frontier, gaming...