Shaving, Razor Blades & Men's Barber Stuff

Justin

I have a way to make disposable razors last longer.

I have a razor sharpener called Hone Alone. It can make a disposable razor last five to seven times longer than normal. It is made entirely in the United States and can be found here:

madeinusaforver.com

Todd Lipscomb is a businessman that owns the place. It is based in California. Great guy. You can get information about it there. Sorry if it seems like a solicitation, but the items he sells are so good. Thanks for letting me share. :O)

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:09 PM, Justin said:

Harrys-1.jpg

I've got an update regarding "Harry's" razors.  My son got me a new handle and 5 blades as a gift, and I've been using them for the past several weeks.  Here's what I think.

Pros:

• The blades are outstanding.  I haven't had any cuts or knicks with these blades.  They also create a very close shave.  A+.
  • The rubberized handle is really nice.  I like it a lot better than the older metal one I have. 

Cons:

• Due to the size of the "border" around the blades, it's hard to get the spots under your nose, or to be precise on your sideburns.
  • The hinges are too weak.  I'm a cheap SOB, and I like the blades to last as long as possible.  With Harry's, the hinges wear out before the blades are dull!  I get about a week of use.  Way too short. 

To summarize - Harry's are good.  But I prefer the Costco/Kirkland blades because they last longer and allow more precision.

One thing I'd like to bring up is good after shave lotion.  Using stuff whose main ingredient is alcohol is pretty rough on your skin -- drying it out.  As an older gentleman, let me share this stuff with you.  Of all the lotions I've tried, this one is my favorite.  It moisturizes, feels good, and smells really nice. 

Duke Cannon Ice Cold after shave balm

I usually buy it at Target, but know they also sell it at JC Penney and other stores.

71gY1RT6pUL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.jcpenney.com/p/duke-cannon-ice-cold-balm-aftershave/ppr5008095542?pTmplType=regular

If you're a "cheap bastard", try the following...

1) Use bar soap on your face, why pay more for creams or "solutions"?

2) When you are done shaving, rinse your razor clean and drop it in a Dixie cup with some cooking oil.  Why?  Because one of the things that "dull" blades is when the water dries in the open air and the minerals in the water dry and cement themselves to the blade. The cooking oil will prevent air from getting to the blade and it'll displace the water, greatly extending the life of the blade.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>

Here's something new I am trying now.  Burt's Bees Natural Shave Cream.

burt-s-bees-shave-cream-for-men-170g-6oz

This stuff is really very strange to me, as there is no foam at all.  You put it on as a cream -- like lotion or sunscreen.  That takes some getting used to.  But how does it work?  Surprisingly:  Excellent!  The shave is close...like really close.  And that's with an old razor!

Pros:

• It works great.  Close shave.  No nicks.
  • It smells great.  Even my wife comments on it.  Smells of lemons and flowers.  Very nice.
  • Not terribly expensive - between 4 and 8 dollars for a tube.

Cons:

• The lack of foam takes some getting used to.
  • I don't think the tube will last as long as my usual gel.  Two to three weeks of shaving daily is my guess.

6 minutes ago, - Ω - said:

If you're a "cheap bastard", try the following...

1) Use bar soap on your face, why pay more for creams or "solutions"?

2) When you are done shaving, rinse your razor clean and drop it in a Dixie cup with some cooking oil.  Why?  Because one of the things that "dull" blades is when the water dries in the open air and the minerals in the water dry and cement themselves to the blade. The cooking oil will prevent air from getting to the blade and it'll displace the water, greatly extending the life of the blade.

On your #2, try baby oil instead.  It smells nicer.  It's just scented mineral oil. 

Your trick does work, but I don't do it.  Why?  It's messy.  And a several good wrist shakes of your razor usually gets all the water off. 

I still miss the original Gillette Sensor. It was the first razor I bought for myself just before going into the military and it was the best razor and blades I ever have used to this day. I have a Fusion now as well but it doesn't matter how many blades they keep adding, the Sensor was the best a man could get and it sucks they stopped making them and blades for them. I still own a sensor razor and still use it on occasion, but I've not found any blades for it that aren't stupid expensive either.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections