What Are Your Favorite Retro Gaming Easter Eggs?

nosweargamer

I'm a big fan of Easter Eggs in games. Of course, Adventure is considered one of the all time greats:

And it was awesome how Yar and Indian Jones are hidden in ET on the 2600

But my favorite might be Deadly Dogs in Dig Dug on the Intellivision. It's basically a free bonus game!

What are your favorite Easter Eggs?

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Well, my favorite easter egg is actually in a console.  We all know about it now but i found it by accident back in 1990.  

Long story short, my Mother and Grandmother both got me the same gift.  I ended up with a Master System from each of them.  The one my Grandmother got me had a Great Football in it and that was it for games.  Out of curiosity I turned the system on without a cartridge and got the on screen instructions to plug a game in.  Not thinking anything of it at the time I went back to my football game.

The one Mom got me was already on when I hooked it up.  To my surprise I was greeted with a message to choose Hang-On or Safari Hunt.  I wondered why the other one didn't do that.  So the next time I went back to Granny's I tried again.  Out of frustration I just started mashing buttons on the controller.  The next thing I know the screen is scrolling over to a blue maze, music starts playing, and I'm guiding a snail to find the exit.  Not impressive as a game but very impressive as a hidden game.  I still play it from time to time.

Okay, it's hard to beat rescuing the aliens at the end of Super Metroid, @nosweargamer. For this, I was trying to think of easter eggs I do every time when I play a game and this is the one.

Also, there are so many hidden in the backgrounds, etc. in the Luigi's Mansion series. Especially in the first one. My sister and I explored every inch of that place when we were little.

Of course, all of Link's Awakening is basically an easter egg. Wart, Kirby, Goombas, Bowser, Yoshi, Mario, Luigi, and even more all make an appearance. What a fantastic game that is!