Godzilla 1998

MaliciousCarp

I was digging through some of my old movie memorabilia and I found my Godzilla 1998 opening day promotional stuff.

I decided to watch the movie again and I feel like it really holds up as fun giant monster movie.  The problem is that it is a terrible Godzilla movie.  If they would have named the monster something different and not told everyone that the monster was the new Godzilla - it would have been much better received.  In later Godzilla movies they did occasionally refer to the monster as just 'zilla, but the damage was done (Zilla shows up for an 8 second cameo in Godzilla Final Wars).

The movie itself hit a lot of the same notes that Rampage did later on. (Which I also really enjoyed)

Anyways - rather than give a detailed review of the movie - I wanted to share my release day promotional "Reproduction film frame" because the idea is hilarious.  It looks nothing like a real film frame and has faded a lot, but it was a great little give away at the time 🙂 

I also found my TacoBell promotional CD-ROM and threw that into the mix.

Enjoy!

IMG_20200813_154458335.jpg

IMG_20200813_154518581.jpg

IMG_20200813_154547675.jpg

IMG_20200813_154556350.jpg

IMG_20200813_154606106.jpg

IMG_20200813_154945129.jpg

I remember the hype. Perhaps too much hype. And yes, the monster was too different from how we all pictured Godzilla. I remember my buds and I renting Godzilla 2000 not too long after. It was like Japan said "We're sorry for that design. Here's a palette cleanser."

Still, it's a good popcorn flick. I wonder how the US would've reacted if it was the same movie, with the Godzilla from 2000 swapped out for the monster. (Or a CGI rendition of 2000)

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

I liked the 1998 Godzilla some.  I liked the story up to the point where they found the nest.  I would not have tried to do what they did, instead I would have moved out of New York, period.  No way, no how, would I have stayed.  Have you guys ever noticed that in the movies almost everything bad that happens happens to New York City?  With the exception of TMNT.

4 hours ago, kamakazi20012 said:

I liked the 1998 Godzilla some.  I liked the story up to the point where they found the nest.  I would not have tried to do what they did, instead I would have moved out of New York, period.  No way, no how, would I have stayed.  Have you guys ever noticed that in the movies almost everything bad that happens happens to New York City?  With the exception of TMNT.

That is one reason why I liked Rampage so much!  It was nice to see something like that take place in the Midwest for once.  Usually giant monsters only attack New York, LA, or Washington DC.

11 hours ago, nosweargamer said:

I remember the hype. Perhaps too much hype. And yes, the monster was too different from how we all pictured Godzilla. I remember my buds and I renting Godzilla 2000 not too long after. It was like Japan said "We're sorry for that design. Here's a palette cleanser."

Still, it's a good popcorn flick. I wonder how the US would've reacted if it was the same movie, with the Godzilla from 2000 swapped out for the monster. (Or a CGI rendition of 2000)

The theater that I worked for at the time actually got Godzilla 2000!  I was so excited to see a "real Godzilla move" (guy in a rubber suit Godzilla) in the theater!  that was a great experience and may be why I like 2000 more than I probably should.

For Godzilla '98 - I wish I could see how it would have done if it had been called anything other than Godzilla.  The part about the monster nesting and hatching 100's of eggs wouldn't have worked for Godzilla (in my opinion).  If it had been named like Iguanasaur or something - I think that it would have worked!