Show off your GB "Rumble Pack" games

RickR

56 minutes ago, RickR said:

PS - I find myself with an extra Pokémon Pinball (an excellent game, by the way).  It's available for trade!

Count me as interested!

I think I have a golf game with rumble. I wonder how many rumble gb games they made?

OK, after a quick Google search, here's what I got:

10 Pin Bowling

3-D Ultra Pinball: Thrill Ride

Hole In One Golf

Missile Command

Nascar Challenge

Perfect Dark

Pokemon Pinball

Polaris Snocross

Ready To Rumble Boxing

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer

Test Drive Off-Road 3

The Little Mermaid 2 - Pinball Frenzy

Tonka Raceway

Top Gear Pocket

Vigilante 8

Zebco Fishing

(J)Chee Chai Alien (Tiny Alien)

(J)Get Mushi Club: Minna no Konchuu Daizukan (Minna's Insect Book?)

(J)Kawa No Nushi Tsuri 4 (Legend of the River King 2)

(J)Nushi Tsuri Adventure Kite No Bouken (Kite's Adventure)

(J)Super Black Bass Real Fight

(J)Super Real Fishing

(J)Top Gear Pocket 2

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

Alright, @RickR. I will do that!

A little background first. The Game Boy has always been one of my favorite systems, even though I hadn't owned a real Game Boy line handheld until last Christmas when I got my beautiful Glacier Game Boy Advance. My experiences with the Game Boy systems are similar to mine with the Atari 2600; I only was able to emulate them for a period of time, although I didn't have to wait as long to get a means of playing physical cartridges. I used emulation to get my DMG, Color, and Advanced Game Boy fix, though I didn't have an emulator on the Wii. Rather, I had to pay money for the games off the 3DS and Wii U eShop. I really had to make sure that I really wanted the game before I got it!

Remember when I talked about how younger-me always envied my dad's cousin's Atari? The equivalent of that was my dad's "Mystical Lost Game Boy". He hadn't seen the thing in years, and I remember spending a really long time rummaging through our basement looking for it. After a few years, I kind of gave up on it.

I've talked about my family and our yearly vacation to Sheboygan, WI each August. There near the resort we always stayed at (Blue Harbor in case you are wondering) was the only used video game store I knew of at the time. In 2016, we stopped there on our last day of vacation and my parents said that I could choose one "souvenir". I looked around the store (which was and still is a magical experience) for something I wanted when I spotted it in one of the glass cases. A genuine Super Game Boy! I thought about getting it, just in case we found that Game Boy and its games one of these days. I ultimately decided not to get it. "I've been looking for that thing for years," I thought. "I'm not going to find it anytime soon. I'm not even sure it exists anymore." I ultimately went with StarTropics, which is a fantastic game.

The very next day (no joke) my dad, my sister, and I were cleaning out the basement. The Super Game Boy was still fresh on my mind, and I was looking for those games again. I was rummaging through and checking each box. My dad handed me a black fabric pouch, and like with the rest of the things I saw that day I checked to see if I could find the "lost treasure". And guess what I found? Game Boy games. This was awesome! I sort of freaked out a bit and was super excited. YEESSSS! I hurriedly opened up the second compartment of the pouch, and to my horror, all I discovered were a couple of pennies and four immensely corroded Duracell AA batteries. No Game Boy to speak of, and no way to play these games. I jinxed myself! Here were a few games I had been looking for for YEARS that just decided to conveniently turn up THE DAY AFTER I visited the only used game store I knew of at the time. What's more, there was no way to play them!

I had to wait until Christmas of that year to be able to play them. Every Christmas Eve, we go over to my grandparents' house for a Christmas party. This year, the Super Game Boy was at the very top of my list, and I was very happy to have gotten it. That year, my mom and sister stayed home sick and only my dad and I went over to the party. When we got home, they were both asleep on the couch. I crept down into the basement where the SNES was hooked up at the time and played the Super Game Boy all night long, mostly Tetris and Link's Awakening. Good times.

It was later revealed that my mom threw out the original GB system. Just... threw it out. WHY?!

Later on, last Christmas season in fact, I had asked for a Game Boy. As in, brick, green screen, blurry, four AA batteries Game Boy. I ended up not getting one. Rather, I got a Game Boy Advance system (which is much better). I thought perhaps that the GBA would be much more expensive, but it seems to be the opposite. A few days later, I visited Game Trade for the first time and REALLY started collecting retro.

My two "dream systems" were the 2600 and the Game Boy. I had always really, REALLY wanted these. Now, I have them both! It seems that fulfilling this lifelong dream of mine came at a cost, however; only a few days after I got my 2600 the pandemic lockdown began!

Anyways, that's my story with the thing. Here is my collection so far. I'm mainly a DMG Game Boy collector, that is the original green-and-black brick games in the gray cartridges. One of my first goals in GB collecting was to gather all the North American launch titles, which I did. There are five: Super Mario Land, Tetris, Baseball, Tennis, and Alleyway. Fun fact: all these games have Mario in it in at least one way.

I have 21 DMG Game Boy games so far. The launch titles are on the top row on the left, and the rest of the games are below it. The Super Game Boy enhanced games are there on the right along with the SGB itself. Some of my favorites here are Super Mario Land, Kirby's Pinball Land, Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters, and Castlevania the Adventure just to name a few. There are so many good games for the Game Boy!

375AFFC1-27B5-438C-9B32-62A57C22CD33.jpeg.649a4944e600df5317d88a2d6fad61da.jpeg

Next up, we have two of my smaller libraries. Game Boy Color (a pitiful three games) and Game Boy Advance (better, but the games are harder to find as they're more sought-after these days). I don't collect as much for these systems. There aren't many Game Boy Color games I'm terribly interested in at the moment. There are lots of GBA games I'd like to get, but they aren't very easy to find and generally hold their value better. I should get on the waiting list for a few I'm looking for. I was fortunate enough to get Metroid Fusion yesterday. I have three Game Boy Color exclusive games, eight Game Boy Advance games, and zero GBC games that will also work on the original Game Boy and Super Game Boy.

Some of my highlights here? Well, Mario Golf, Metroid Fusion, Game and Watch Gallery 4, Super Mario Advance 3, and Super Monkey Ball Junior just to name a few. You'll also see in this picture my Game Boy Advance itself as well as a few slips of paper. What are these? Well, these are my custom Super Game Boy color palate codes! If anyone's interested, I'll gladly post them here.

7E9BC593-9CCB-4EA6-B2FE-8560C83B2DB7.jpeg.9e83b36def3a26698abff8ea053c9c2b.jpeg

There are a few games that I would really, REALLY like to add to my collection. Especially Metroid II, Super Mario Advance 2 and 4, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Super Mario Brothers Deluxe, Donkey Kong '94, Pinball: Revenge of the Gator, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, and Metroid Zero Mission. I don't know if anyone here has any duplicates of these (or really any) Game Boy-series games, but I would most definitely be interested in maybe purchasing a few from you guys (once I pay off Metroid Fusion!).

Thanks again, @RickR, for letting me share my story and collection here with everyone. I LOVE the Game Boy line with all my heart, and I'm happy to blab on about it here.

Edited by HDN
Added pictures from phone

Here you go. 

• The OG Game Boy was a gift from a friend who knew I collected old video games.  His kids didn't want it.  I was glad to take it, and I gave him a case of beer in exchange.  It came with the case and all those crazy accessories.  At that point, I already had a brick Game Boy that I had purchased from a Goodwill.  Strange timing -- another friend posted on Facebook about wanting one because of the time they spent playing it while on duty in the first Iraq war.  I gladly gave it to them. 
  • The blue GBC is the very first gaming console I purchased for kid #1.  I bought it new at Toys R Us with an "Elmo's ABC" game.  He was so excited and played it a ton. It got handed down to kid #2 a few years later.  For whatever reason, neither kid wants it, so it goes to me.  Maybe they know I'll keep it safe and give it back if they ever change their minds. 
  • The Super Game Boy is one I purchased a few years back from Goodwill.  I love it because it's smaller/sleeker than the original and only needs two batteries (and they last a long time). 

Of these three, the GBC is my favorite because of the family connection.

gameboy collection 002.JPG

gameboy collection 003.JPG

And two Game Boy Advance:

• The Glacier one -- purchased for Kid #1 and he played and played and played.  Interestingly, when I bought it, the SP had just come out.  He chose this one.  I kept gently prodding him to get the SP, but he insisted.  Fine.  We laugh about it now.  Like the GBC, this one got inherited by me once he got a DS.
  • The GBA SP (model 101) is one I hunted for and bought many moons ago.  I love this thing.  Probably one of my most prized possessions.  I take it on vacation. I still play it a lot.  If you hear I've been playing Game Boy games, it is most likely being done on this machine.  I think the form factor is perfect.  I like how it closes up to keep the screen from getting scratched.  Perfection.

gameboy collection 004.JPG

Edited by RickR

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

Here you go. 

• The OG Game Boy was a gift from a friend who knew I collected old video games.  His kids didn't want it.  I was glad to take it, and I gave him a case of beer in exchange.  It came with the case and all those crazy accessories.  At that point, I already had a brick Game Boy that I had purchased from a Goodwill.  Strange timing -- another friend posted on Facebook about wanting one because of the time they spent playing it while on duty in the first Iraq war.  I gladly gave it to them. 
  • The blue GBC is the very first gaming console I purchased for kid #1.  I bought it new at Toys R Us with an "Elmo's ABC" game.  He was so excited and played it a ton. It got handed down to kid #2 a few years later.  For whatever reason, neither kid wants it, so it goes to me.  Maybe they know I'll keep it safe and give it back if they ever change their minds. 
  • The Super Game Boy is one I purchased a few years back from Goodwill.  I love it because it's smaller/sleeker than the original and only needs two batteries (and they last a long time). 

Of these three, the GBC is my favorite because of the family connection.

gameboy collection 002.JPG

gameboy collection 003.JPG

Oooh, Space Invaders! Try plugging that one into a Super Game Boy cartridge and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :nintendo_snes: There was an earlier, non-SGB enhanced version of Space Invaders, but I believe it was released only in Japan.

1 minute ago, RickR said:

Interestingly, when I bought it, the SP had just come out.  He chose this one.  I kept gently prodding him to get the SP, but he insisted.  Fine.  We laugh about it now. 

Reminds me when I was given the choice between a DSi and 3DS when I was a wee lad. I went with DSi for some bizarre reason. NO REGRETS!

2 minutes ago, RickR said:

I think the form factor is perfect.  I like how it closes up to keep the screen from getting scratched. 

My GBA screen has definitely seen better days, even since I got it. It's been really scuffed up, but I'm fine with that.

Why I collect: 

Mostly, it's the system my kids were really into, and I had fun with it too. Memories and nostalgia. 

But the other part is how these systems and games were all super inexpensive when I first started collecting retro games.  Consoles were generally $5 at Goodwill (and plentiful).  Games were usually all less than $5 back then. 

And finally, I think the games and systems are pure brilliance.  Most games are easy to get into (and a challenge to master).  It feels like the last real incarnation of the old Atari systems, where games were meant to be enjoyed for short bursts of time.  And so many modern series find their roots in the humble Game Boy. 

Your Game Boy collection is very nice, @RickR. I think it's very cool that each system has its own story and is special to you in a unique way. Kind of like how many of my systems have stories, too. 

43 minutes ago, RickR said:

If you hear I've been playing Game Boy games, it is most likely being done on this machine.  I think the form factor is perfect.  I like how it closes up to keep the screen from getting scratched.  Perfection.

What are some of your favorite Game Boy/Color/Advance games and highlights of your collection?

That's some cool stuff you guys.

I only have the GameBoy Color since I gave away my OG GameBoy many years ago. My kids grew up with the DS Lite. I gave away one or two but should still have another or two around. They briefly gamed on the 3DS.

I don't think I have any rumble pack games but later will share a photo of what I have for the GameBoy.

7 minutes ago, HDN said:

What are some of your favorite Game Boy/Color/Advance games and highlights of your collection?

Good question.  I'm totally into sports games and anything that is quick to pick up. 

Go-to games for the Game Boy for me are Tetris (of course).  I like the Super Mario Land series (1, 2, 3 -- it's cool how the games look better with each iteration).  I have several pinball games that I like a lot (Pokémon Pinball is a favorite).  Now that I've discovered the Gator Pinball, that will get a good amount of my time.  Alleyway.   In general, give me a baseball, golf, football, or basketball game, and I'll be happy on a plane ride.  I like the arcade conversions (Ms. Pac Man, Donkey Kong, Defender, etc). 

I have 62 GB games and 55 GBA. 

Here's my GameBoy stuff (OG GB, GBC, GBA).

Getting the games out for the photo shoot, I was surprised by how many I still had back from the day as I had given away a lot of games with the GameBoy to a little kid. The Duke Nukem, Metal Gear Solid (pricecharting shows $80 for loose 😮) games, Tennis, Nemesis, Madden, Chessmaster, and In Your Face are games I bought back in the 90s iirc. The others GB games and GBA games are stuff I bought within the last two or three years. One thing that is not shown is my GBA multi-cart from China that I bought off of ebay. I bought the GameBoy Player for the GameCube and briefly dabbled in GBA games.

• I can't remember where the fanny pack came from. I may have gotten it from my cousin.
  • Of the GB games, I believe Loderunner is the only complete in box game that I have.
  • The cases for the GBA games are reproductions. They came in the case from the local store that I bought them from.
  • There's also a homebrew and a multi-cart I got for free from someone on AtariAge.
  • I believe the GBA Pokemon game was for Son #2 who played it on his DS Lite. Outside of that game, all of these are stuff that I bought for me. If I showed my DS collection, there would be a bunch that I bought for the kids. 

GameBoy-2.JPG.ffaab8cd1d21fb9050c08edf8bd1b365.JPG

GameBoy-1.JPG.1ec38e213377e74d53d83089e3f63040.JPG

Very nice @socrates63! I actually learned about Metal Gear’s value yesterday when I saw it at the game store. $80, WOW! It does look like a pretty fun game however, just not worth the insane price of admission. Like SOS on SNES.

Nemesis and Hyper Lode Runner look nice as well and are both ones I would like to get myself someday. And you know me and Mario World! One of my favorite games ever on the SNES.

@nosweargamer great video! Some interesting games in there. However, it seems you have come down with a bad case of “No Super Mario Advance 3” syndrome! Have you since remedied this? I recently got this game from my parents and it is a BLAST! I haven’t played much of the original Yoshi’s Island on SNES, and this seems very similar to it. Still, it might be my favorite game on the system so far.

You also have “No Metroid” syndrome. Have you fixed this as well? I love 2D Metroid to death and try to get everyone to play them.

Overall, great collection! 

10 minutes ago, HDN said:

@nosweargamer great video! Some interesting games in there. However, it seems you have come down with a bad case of “No Super Mario Advance 3” syndrome! Have you since remedied this? I recently got this game from my parents and it is a BLAST! I haven’t played much of the original Yoshi’s Island on SNES, and this seems very similar to it. Still, it might be my favorite game on the system so far.

You also have “No Metroid” syndrome. Have you fixed this as well? I love 2D Metroid to death and try to get everyone to play them.

Overall, great collection! 

Yoshi's Island...that baby scream!!!! lol

I have Metroid Fusion digitally on my 3ds.

At one point, I was looking for Metroid II. I might have it somewhere, or maybe I don't. I sadly don't know, lol.

The No Swear Gamer on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJuo040EOCTVziObIgVcg

Host of The Atari 7800 Game by Game Podcast on iTunes, Stitcher and YouTube

2 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

Yoshi's Island...that baby scream!!!! lol

There is nothing more annoying, intensifying, and ear-splitting in video gaming! Still, a great game. I would like to get the SNES version someday, just because.

4 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

I have Metroid Fusion digitally on my 3ds

Oh-ho! We have a 3DS Ambassador in our midst! You lucky ducks, we “normies” never got any GBA games on our 3DSes. I did get both Fusion and Zero Mission on my Wii U. I got Metroid 2 on 3DS.

5 minutes ago, nosweargamer said:

At one point, I was looking for Metroid II. I might have it somewhere, or maybe I don't. I sadly don't know, lol.

Metroid II holds an incredibly special place in my heart. I ought to tell my story about that game someday. A story filled with mystery, excitement, disappointment, regret, pure bliss, and loads of early childhood memories. Ever since I got my GBA last year, I have been looking for this game. I still have not found a physical copy. There are only a select few games I adore as much as Metroid II. Though it’s far from being one of my favorite games of all time, this one holds an EXTREMELY special place in my heart because of how badly I wanted to play it.

I'm bumping this topic because I finally found a copy of Metroid II! I am so overjoyed. The battery was dead when I got it, but after I got it replaced it only took me a few hours to beat it. This game is somehow even better than I remembered it. It holds up so well. Probably my favorite Metroid game after Super. 

I think it might actually be my favorite Game Boy game.