Did Jack Tramiel HELP OR HURT Atari in the Video Game Wars?

Justin

Did Jack Tramiel HELP OR HURT Atari in the Video Game Wars?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Did Jack Tramiel HELP OR HURT Atari in the Video Game Wars?

• HELP
    • HURT

I believe Epyx made my favorite handheld of all time...the Lynx.  I really enjoy the library of games I have for it, although my Lynx library is only at six games.  But I have discovered my two latest additions have allowed me to rethink my original opinion about the Lynx.  The games I had for a previous Lynx I owned were not games that would have been deciding factors to owning a Lynx.  While fun, Checkered Flag was OK but got boring after a while.  Joust was great but also a tired game for a suppose to be powerful handheld.  S.T.U.N Runner and Xybots are now in my library along with Batman Returns, California Games, Warbirds, and Blue Lightning.  I play Xybots the most.  It's a shame what came to the Lynx didn't get a simultaneous release on the Jaguar.  I know it was supposed to be a 3D able system but if it could have received games like S.T.U.N. Runner and Xybots I believe the Jaguar would have been better received by the public.  Likewise if games made for Jaguar could have been made for the Lynx, not all of them of course, I believe both systems could have benefited.  Those games should have also made it to the ST and STe line of computers, too.  Those got better support overseas than they did here stateside.  So great hardware during the Tramiel era but very poor software support or at least mediocre.  Advertising would have also been a huge help.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:32 AM, Atari 5200 Guy said:

I believe Epyx made my favorite handheld of all time...the Lynx.

Epyx did. It was originally the size of a room, from what I understand. Epyx squeezed it into a handheld. That's why the name "Handy" is attributed to the Lynx. It was the code name for the Lynx project.

11 hours ago, Justin said:

I always thought the name "LYNX" looked a lot like "EPYX"

Now that you mention it, it does. I think they called it that because you can link them together, and the name logo shows it all. The X in Lynx is like two lines twisted together. Plus, with ComLynx cables, you can link up to eight of them together in a network, depending on the game. :O)