TV Antenna Help

Atari 5200 Guy

Hi Guys,

Picked up an indoor antenna today but I need assistance from anyone with knowledge.  I've tried putting it in a window, above the window as high as I can get it, and can't seem to get a signal.  Out area only has 6 stations with the closest one being 35 miles south of us.  

The instructions say to get it as close to the window as possible.  The NoCable website had a tip saying to avoid thick metal.  Our windows are made of metal, frame and trim all around.  Would that interfere with the antenna picking up a signal?

Any suggestions? I'm all ears.  Oh...outdoor antennas are not allowed where we live.  It's against the property rules where we are at.

I can help!

The antenna is amplified and it's range is 65 miles.  I forgot to mention that part.

Im not sure how new these windows are but they do have metal screens on them. We can't take them off, property rules unless there's a fire and our south wall has our neighbor's apartment. I don't know if that helps but I'm betting our metal screens may not be helping any.

That is a very nice one.  Good choice. 

I would place it on whatever south facing wall you have (even if it isn't an outer wall).  Whatever south facing wall is in your TV room, as close to an outer wall as possible.  Right in the middle (vertically) of the wall so you don't get blocking from the roof or floor. 

If you don't have south facing windows, placing it in a window will do absolutely nothing.  As south as you can in your apartment is going to work best.  Even if it's on a solid wall. 

If this doesn't work, you might look into the kind of antenna that uses the electrical wiring in the house.  I've never used one like that, but in an apartment building, that may be a really nice choice. 

I have a similar issue as you...we live way out in the burbs about 30 miles from the broadcast towers...BUT we have a couple of mountains right in the line of sight.  The only place I can get an antenna to work is in our garage, and even then, I only get about half of what we should. 

And final advice....the cable company should offer a very basic package with the local channels only for somewhere in the $10 - $20 per month price.  I'm just throwing this out there.  Also, there are internet subscription services like YouTubeTV for the same thing, but I'm not sure the cost. 

Not sure I can be of much help on this, but I used to use something similar to what you posted about 10 years ago and signals were always kinda hit n miss with it. Then, I looked into a more directional yagi style antenna that was still non powered and could be used for indoor/outdoor use. I ended up purchasing something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Directional-Mounting-Included-33692/dp/B00DNJZ58M/ref=sr_1_5?c=ts&keywords=TV+Antennas&qid=1642264957&refinements=p_89%3AGE&s=audio-video-accessories&sr=1-5&ts_id=172665

Like it states, I mounted it up in the attic pointed in the direction of where most of the local stations advised. We ended up receiving nearly 40 stations compared to the maybe 12 - 18 we were getting before with the other style.

I bought a second one to attach to the bedroom TV and mounted it in the attic as well. I really like them because it is nearly like having the advantage of a large aerial without actually having to deal with the eyesore of it being attached to the house.

So not sure what options you have to something like this, but I would think that if you can get it into the attic space, that will help quite a bit from getting it away from the noise blocking materials.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

That one is indeed a lot nicer and that's the type I want to get when we finally decide to "cut the cord".  It will be really easy because I can use the same RF splitter box that our cable uses so it will work with every outlet in the house.

But I don't think @Atari 5200 Guyhas an attic.  I'm pretty sure he's in an apt building which makes it harder. 

3 minutes ago, RickR said:

I don't think @Atari 5200 Guyhas an attic.  I'm pretty sure he's in an apt building which makes it harder. 

What I would do is still put it outside and hide it like they do with some cell phone towers with plants such as on a balcony.  Perhaps a hanging a hanging plant.  This would still be better than having it inside. 

44 minutes ago, AtariSphinx said:

What I would do is still put it outside and hide it like they do with some cell phone towers with plants such as on a balcony.  Perhaps a hanging a hanging plant.  This would still be better than having it inside. 

the one I posted can be used outside but then you have to run a separate ground off it to account for possible lightning strikes so it doesn't get into the house. The model I posted also isn't as large as it might look. I think it only measure about 12 - 16 inches wide and like 10 inches tall and I think it sticks out about 12 inches from the back to tip. So aside from it looking goofy, you could mount it on a small rod internally and hide is in the manner you spoke of as well.

See what I'm up to over at the Ivory Tower Collections: http://www.youtube.com/ivorytowercollections

4 hours ago, AtariSphinx said:

That's right.  Once you are outside need to ground it.

Outdoor antennas are not allowed on the property or I'd already have one.  That's why I went with an I door one and prayed.

Yep.  We live in an apartment that is more like a duplex.  If there is an attic I have not found the doggie door to get in it but cheese I'm also not sure if I'm allowed in there.

I'm like Rick.  I'm Not far from the nearest towers south, but there are trees and mountains between both areas. 

Go to:  << THIS WEBSITE >> Enter your ZIPCODE to find your coordinates then you'll be able to see direction and distance of available towers.  You can move the pointer to your EXACT location, which is beneficial in the projection process, because at those frequencies a few feet can make a HUGE difference.  After you move the pointer, look at the top of the page to be sure your address is correct.  If not, reposition.

Now depending on how your residence is positioned, and if your available towers are in the right direction, you could use an outdoor antenna indoors behind the TV if it's big enough or in a closet.  For instance << THIS ANTENNA >>  paired with << THIS AMPLIFIER >> would be optimal if the above coverage map puts you in a  fringe area.

<<< My YouTube Page >>>