Finding a Decent NA Beer

RickR

Non-alcoholic beer.  What's the point, right? 

I've been working from home exclusively for the last year now.  I've given up soda.  And I've gotten tired of plain water or iced tea at lunchtime, so I thought I'd give NA beer a shot. 

I'll post reviews of what I've tried so far here, and give them a 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺 stein rating (out of 5). 

The basic review template:

Beer Name:

Notes:

What I think:

Rating:

Edited by RickR

Beer Name: Clausthaler Original NA

Notes:  Pale golden lager.  Made in Germany

What I think:  It doesn't taste watered down at all.  Very strong flavor, but more bitter than sweet.  I'm no expert, but I'd call it "malty" and dry.  I don't think I'd buy it again.  Cool looking bottle, though.

Rating:  🍺🍺 1/2 out of 5 steins.  (2.5)

na beer 004.JPG

A good idea. Personally only had a couple NA in my lifetime, I cannot recall the circumstances or the brands but I like the concept, I DO recall at least one of them being pretty passable as in I would not have known it was NA without the branding. I enjoy a good Beer and I could certainly accept a nice NA one in place of soda for sure. I look forward to any entries and follow ups here. Just a quick Googling would indicate THIS might be the option at our local grocery and I bet would not be a bad option. 

Screenshot 2022-02-10 172417.png

I am Rob aka MaximumRD aka OldSchoolRetroGamer and THIS is my world http://about.me/maximumrd

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

- M. Bison

I think we have Beck's here too, and I will try it sometime. 

As far as a soda alternative, I've found the NA beer to be really refreshing and "different".  I've even thought about showing up to a work zoom meeting with a tall frosty glass, but it would be hard to convince people it was non-alcoholic! 

Next up is this one, which was a huge surprise.

Beer Name:  Budweiser Zero

Notes:  I scoffed at buying this, as it only comes in boxes of 12.  I just assumed it would be terrible.  Of note, I got this whole idea of trying NA beer from "Men's Health" magazine, and they actually rated this one best. 

What I think:  This has been my favorite one so far.  It tastes exactly like real Budweiser.  Not watery at all.  If you like a plain old American pilsner, get this one.  My wife concurs with me and grabs one of these when we have pizza.  She dislikes all of the others I've tried.  If you are new to NA beer, you cannot go wrong with this one.  (If you don't like American pilsner beers like Bud, skip this one).

Rating: 🍺🍺🍺🍺 out of 5 (4)

na beer 002.JPG

Edited by RickR

On 2/10/2022 at 6:47 PM, RickR said:

Next up is this one, which was a huge surprise.

Beer Name:  Budweiser Zero

Notes:  I scoffed at buying this, as it only comes in boxes of 12.  I just assumed it would be terrible.  Of note, I got this whole idea of trying NA beer from "Men's Health" magazine, and they actually rated this one best. 

What I think:  This has been my favorite one so far.  It tastes exactly like real Budweiser.  Not watery at all.  If you like a plain old American pilsner, get this one.  My wife concurs with me and grabs one of these when we have pizza.  She dislikes all of the others I've tried.  If you are new to NA beer, you cannot go wrong with this one.

Rating: 🍺🍺🍺🍺 out of 5 (4)

na beer 002.JPG

This is what I'm having for the Super Bowl. It is not half bad. I like the Heineken 0.0 better but I don't  love Budweiser.

Beer Name:  Athletic Brewing Upside Dawn,
                      Athletic Brewing Run Wild

Notes:  This brand makes (I think) six different NA beers, and I've tried two.  I want to try all six.

What I think:  The Upside Down is a pilsner, and it's pretty good.  Not watery and very hoppy.  Much more flavor than the Budweiser.  However, the aftertaste isn't pleasant.  Bitter. 

Run Wild is an IPA and it's very good.  Nice flavor.  I like it. 

Rating:  Upside Dawn 🍺🍺 2 out of 5
              Run Wild 🍺🍺🍺 3 out of 5

na beer 003.JPG