Squad Challenge - Pizza Party Summer - Let's Play - BYOG: Bring Your Own Game Showcase!

Justin

large.1094813823_PizzaPartySummer-WeekofJuly1st.gif

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Bring Your Own Game Showcase!
Player's Choice of Video Game System, Arcade or Pinball
Controller: CONTROL PAD / KEYBOARD / PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: LET'S PLAY
Play on: Real Hardware / Dedicated Console / Emulation OK! ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST July 14th, 2022

Nominated by @Justin

Objective: BRING YOUR OWN GAME AND SHOW US WHAT YOU'RE PLAYING!

It's SHOW AND TELL in High Score Squad! Now is the time to introduce us to one of your favorite games and show us what you're currently playing! For the next two weeks we're asking you to show us what you're playing, tell us a little bit about your game, and maybe a bit about yourself along the way. Share personal stories and photos of your game, post photos of your progress and high scores, along with photos of your cartridge, manual, posters, and anything else interesting about your game.

RELAX AND ENJOY playing one of your favorite games and share hints, tips, and photos of your progress along the way! In this "Let's Play" Challenge, we are not competing for a high score, and there will not be a winner declared at the end. Instead, this is an opportunity to enjoy a gameplay experience together with friends in the forums. Share new secrets, helpful hints, and your overall thoughts on this title as you progress through the game! This "Let's Play" Challenge is a perfect opportunity to livestream your gameplay or share footage on YouTube, Instagram, Twitch or Facebook. Posts must be made between July 1st through July 14th, 2022. Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. 

Eligibility

Anyone can join in. All players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real hardware, Flashback / Mini console, or emulation, using any controller or keyboard, following all rules and game settings defined in the challenge. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

It's BYOG, so YOU DECIDE the difficulty level!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

Welcome to our 131st Squad Challenge, the first "Let's Play" Challenge of the series! We're trying something new with some "Let's Play" events for this year's Pizza Party Summer! Atari I/O Summer Pizza Party is now PIZZA PARTY SUMMER and runs from June 15th through July 31st! For this Let's Play Challenge we're asking YOU to show us what you're currently playing! This is a tremendous opportunity to introduce us to one of your favorite games and tell us a little bit about it, and a little bit about yourself along the way! This Let's Play Challenge will run through July 14th, 2022. Remember, this is just for fun, no winner will be announced, but share your thoughts and photos / videos of your progress along the way! Instruction Manual is provided below. It's dangerous to go alone!

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Well, since it has arrived I have been addicted to this game:

IMG_20220703_073353.jpg.32c53d712696c57a85feac2947fd8a0a.jpg

I have been having a hard time putting it down.  This is Tumble Bugs/Magneto Bugs depending on who released it.  This has to be one the few A8 games that has captured my interest.  I have managed to complete a maze just once.  It took me a while to complete a single maze and I have not been able to since.  

I did have an A8 800 shortly after getting a 5200 many moons ago.  But instead of getting all kinds of games for it I stuck with learning BASIC.  That machine is where I learned how to program although I never dug into what the machine was really capable of.  Today I'm learning what I missed out on and seeing some games I remember from the 5200. Every piece of software I get that was not on the 5200 is interesting to me and a new adventure.  

So when this game came along and I couldn't put it down I knew I had found a favorite.

Since we have a Gradius challenge I thought I'd throw this one in.  Salamander for the FC.  There is one difference between Salamander and Life Force that could affect a score run which is Salamander gives you one Option more than Life Force.  But this was my run.  I was doing good with one life then died at the start of the third wave and...that was it.

IMG_20220705_183045.jpg.ba2e8bcbcf89ac30d956c2d2a5809ba3.jpg

For the last several weeks, I've been playing BPM Boy on the new Atari VCS.  It's the first exclusive title on the system and was developed by games industry veteran Tony Barnes under his solo label "RetroNinja."  The game is a "roller platformer" in the vein of Marble Madness, Super Monkey Ball and de Blob.  It was conceived as a tribute to Mr. Barnes' mother, whose favorite game was Marble Madness.   The game has 34 levels, Atari fuji logo secrets and an online leaderboard.  It also has some stellar music and level design.  From the dev:

BPM Boy features multiple routes, hidden secrets, and an original soundtrack driven by RetroNinja's Dynamic Music & Sound Regulator (DMSR).  The funky grooves change and react, as you save the music throughout the galaxy.  

Members following the Club VCS subforum will be familiar with the game but I thought I'd share here. If you're curious, here's a playlist of my casual playthrough where I'm uploading 4 levels at a time. 

Edited by Sabertooth

I just realized something.  I had one NES controller I used for every shump game.  I would not be caught without it.

s-l300.jpg.2a35371d58a241c709e39cc68d857ab7.jpg

I absolutely loved that controller because of the turbo settings.  I nabbed one on clearance when the SNES was fixing to be released.  I never could find another one.  My research turned up ...

1207641312_s-l300(1).jpg.75e3177defd7d71a794a9d3ca19f3365.jpg

The Famicom version less headphone jack.  I'm going to have to plan to get one someday and see if that helps with these games.  I remember that now.

Jackal is an awesome game!  My friend and I spent a lot of weekend nights trying to beat that game.  Never beat it.  I found a copy once with a bunch if others.  Game X Change was holding an NES sale and games were $1.99 each.  I bought a NES front loader and a bunch if games which included Jackal.  I never seen Roller all though but most of what was on the Classic Mini I found along with Blaster Master and a few others.  I saved $20 out if my paycheck for eats on way home and the remaining amount I went all out as much as I could. And that paycheck had overtime and was bill free.  I spent a good $250 on just NES and games then.  My friend was with me so he helped me game hunt.  I should have kept them all.

Was Jackal made for the Famicom?

Damn.  And that's not a lot of games?!?  I see two Zelda games.  Awesome collection and that is a decent sized collection.  That's about how many I have in physical carts.  Most of those you have are what I grabbed decades ago on sale.  Those are not that cheap now.

It's a little blurry but do I see Faxanadu?  I have that one but have yet to really dig into it.