Recharged Squad Challenge 006 - Tempest 4000

squad_challenge_text_purple_flat_w_logo.

Tempest 4000
Atari VCS
Controller: MODERN / CLASSIC /
PLAYER'S CHOICE
Difficulty Level: ARCADE MODE
Play on: Real Hardware ✔
Squad Challenge ends 11:59 pm PST August 31, 2022

Objective

Play for the highest possible score using the difficulty settings defined in the challenge. Post a photo or YouTube video of your score in this thread. Scores must be achieved between August 1st through August 31, 2022.  Screen captures are not allowed as they are more easily manipulated for falsified scores. Multiple submissions are permitted. The player with the highest score at the end of the competition is the victor!

Eligibility

This is a Club VCS Exclusive Challenge. All Club VCS players are welcome!

Play Rules

Games may be played on real Atari VCS hardware. Choosing which controller to play on is part of formulating your strategy. Enhancements, rewinds and hacked versions of this game are not allowed.

Difficulty Level

We are playing Tempest 4000 in the "PURE" mode. Start at Level 1 and play as long as you can for the highest score possible!

Fair Play

Your integrity is everything. Players should play fairly, be honest, and have fun! Falsified scores will result in your immediate removal from the site. It goes without saying that we will not allow cheats, hacks, cartridge frying, enhancements, rewinds, deceitful photo manipulation, subterfuge, or any other unfair advantage. Everybody hates a cheater.

More

To review detailed rules on how to play, please visit the High Score Squad page here: 

Welcome to our sixth Club VCS Recharged Squad Challenge!!! For this challenge we're taking our first detour from the mainline Recharged series to play Tempest 4000!

A sequel to Atari's arcade classic Tempest, Tempest 4000 is the most recent entry in a long line of Tempest-inspired tunnel shooters from the mind of Jeff Minter.  This is a lineage that includes Tempest 2000, Tempest 3000, Space Giraffe, and TxK.  Originally release on XBOX One, PS4 and PC in 2018, Tempest 4000 comes to the VCS with psychedelic visuals, a choice of Tempest 2000 or original soundtrack, and classic joystick support.  So feed your head to the web and take a journey into the Mind's Eye.

large.atari_league_world_championships_150.gif

Edited by Sabertooth

7 minutes ago, Stlrs95 said:

Wow, I don't have this game yet.  Still on the fence about getting it.  Watching your video, with all of the effects it's hard for me to tell what's going on.  Had the same issue with Breakout Recharged as well.

Anyways, is over a million a typical score for this game?

I decided to skip this one as I don't think I'd enjoy that frenetic pace and flashing.  Good luck to those playing this round!

@Stlrs95 I imagine scores between 500 and 600K are typical once you get the hang of it. With practice, 1 million+ should be attainable.

The psychedelic graphics really do overwhelm at times. I think that Minter designed this to take you on a trip. It's visually stunning but will not appeal to everyone.

I'd definitely recommend it if you enjoyed Llamasoft's other titles. Or if they do another 50% off sale and you're still curious.

This game is a visual mind warp that's for sure, things get even crazier as you progress in terms of visuals. I think the "trick" to getting a high score is to pay attention to how you earn points and 2x points; during Beauty and when using the Superzapper make sure to destroy as many things as possible, you get 2x points for each thing destroyed. Get all the powerups as Treasure and some others award points, and you need the help with AI bot and bullet power. Do your best on the between level tunnels, there's a lot of points there. I am unsure on whether the warp stages are worth it, 50,000 is a lot but you might be better off failing it and just going through the levels. I think you zoom ahead a few levels when you succeed, although I could be wrong, and if so you may get more points by just running the levels to that point.

In case folks are curious, there will be buttons in this series. The structure will be a little different. There will be two ways to get a button set.

1) Win a challenge.

2) Post a valid score to all challenges in the 5 game series.

You can only get one set per member.

Here are some test buttons I did this evening. May still change them up.

IMG_20220822_223954~2.jpg